Help figuring out tslot light mount

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I would like to build a t-slot mount for my light but I'm not sure what thickness I'd need, and want a sanity check that it'll be secure enough! :)

The light weighs 13.5 lbs, and the center of the tank is about 17" off the wall. I'd like the mount to be attached to the wall behind the tank from just one vertical mount, and then project forwards, like so - (vertical heights in this mockup are not exact, and I do want the vertical attachment to go down to below the top edge of the tank to look clean :) )
1700598895972.png

I really like the one built by eggplantparrot here (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/light-mounting-options-and-how-tos.843062/post-9139114, pic below) but I think it looks pretty heavy duty for my needs....
1700599313573.jpeg

Any insight appreciated, I'm sure it's a very beginner question but I haven't worked with this material before and I want to feel sure I'm not going to drop a fancy light in my saltwater!
Planning to buy from tnutz and get the pieces cut to length already, hoping to take advantage of their current sale :)

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go to the 80/20 website, under the "Helpful tools tab you can find the defection calculator. By entering in the Profile Part Number, the Profile Length and the Profile Load it will tell you how much deflection (sag) you can expect due to the weight.
I'll give you the answers so you can try it out and see if you come up with the same
Profile Length, enter 17 inches
Profile Load, enter 13.5 lbs.
Here are the deflections for the following Profiles, (which can be found under Home / Shop / Framing Options, T-Slot Profiles.)
1515-S = .0094"
1515-LS = .0125"
1515-ULS = .0051"
(1515 Series is 1.5" square)
1010-S = .0496"
(1010 Series is 1" square)
What light are you going to be using?

OP
OP
saltcats

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go to the 80/20 website, under the "Helpful tools tab you can find the defection calculator. By entering in the Profile Part Number, the Profile Length and the Profile Load it will tell you how much deflection (sag) you can expect due to the weight.
I'll give you the answers so you can try it out and see if you come up with the same
Profile Length, enter 17 inches
Profile Load, enter 13.5 lbs.
Here are the deflections for the following Profiles, (which can be found under Home / Shop / Framing Options, T-Slot Profiles.)
1515-S = .0094"
1515-LS = .0125"
1515-ULS = .0051"
(1515 Series is 1.5" square)
1010-S = .0496"
(1010 Series is 1" square)
What light are you going to be using?

Thank you, I was looking on the websites for a tool like this but I hadn't checked on 8020's own site! Do I need to be concerned about the connection between the horizontal projection and the vertical part attached to the wall? I know they have the right angle connector triangle pieces, I assume those are plenty secure enough?

I'm using the reefbreeders photon v2 pro 24.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would use the 4 Hole - Tall Gusseted Inside Corner Brackets (On the 80/20 site). Keep in mind, I'm not advertising for 80/20. You can find comparable items from other manufacturers. So do your research if you want to shop prices.
In the first post you stated, "I do want the vertical attachment to go down to below the top edge of the tank". How far do you want the vertical piece to go? Do you want to be able to adjust the height of the horizontal bars of the fixture? Many options to be had here but boils down to how much are you willing to spend!:thinking-face::winking-face:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back