HELP!! I woke up this morning and my clownfish tale is missing/eaten?

dtm2420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked on my tank this morning and found that my clownfish’s tale is missing or has been eaten. 1 will it heal back to normal? 2 would hermit crabs do this over night? 3 what do I do now?
7C0D573C-9034-4674-84BC-5C6E0E343869.jpeg

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tail will grow back. (Few weeks) Of course it won't if whatever bit it off keeps biting.

Keep an eye on the tail, just in case it shows sign of infection.

At this point, do nothing, but observe.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say this clown needs to be removed and needs antibiotics immediately as that looks like it will turn into a bad infection if it is not already. When it hits the bone, it may not grow back. It's whole third stripe looks distorted.

I think good chance it will perish if you leave it in the tank like that.

Hermit crabs did not do this. It's possible that nothing bit it off but that you have a very nasty fast moving gram neg infection.

I have a damsel that is missing 90% of it's tail. It got a small cut and the resulting infection almost rotted it's entire tail off in two days. I treated it with 14 days of broad spectrum antibiotics. It recovered but the tail never grew back except a small portion.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) it depends on the severity of the wound but I don't think that it will fully heal on this little fellow .
2)I don't think hermits can do such damage
3) monitor and examine try to find the source

OP
OP
dtm2420

dtm2420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only think in the tank is another clown and 2 hermit crabs. I am suspecting a hermit did this. Is there another option for clean up crew other than hermits? I have a few snails too

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) it depends on the severity of the wound but I don't think that it will fully heal on this little fellow .
2)I don't think hermits can do such damage
3) monitor and examine try to find the source
and you might want to consider a treatment method , others would help since I have no experience in similar cases

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put an inverted bottle trap together and bait the trap with a small piece of fish if you have a mantis or fireworm that did that damage it'll likely end up in the trap overnight.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only think in the tank is another clown and 2 hermit crabs. I am suspecting a hermit did this. Is there another option for clean up crew other than hermits? I have a few snails too
any power heads in the tank ?
also clowns can some times fight even though I doubt them having the ability to do such damage

OP
OP
dtm2420

dtm2420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with all dry rock and live sand. Could something have come in the sand? No powerheads. I do have a HOB filter though

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with all dry rock and live sand. Could something have come in the sand? No powerheads. I do have a HOB filter though

No nothing came in on dry rock and bagged live sand. Is there any other fish in there?

It's probably a bad fast moving infection.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully this helps

Fish needs to be put in QT with broad spectrum antibiotics or it will surely die by the looks of it. Furan 2, Kanaplex, etc.

The prognosis is poor imo.

I doubt the tail will fully recover although if you can cure the infection, it can live without a tail fin.

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's nasty. My guess its clown on clown abuse. I would suggest isolating him into an isolation chamber...like one of those cheap plastic animal carriers you can pick up at walmart or amazon for cheap. melt some holes into it and mount into your tank with a cleaner magnet.

Give you a chance to:
  • Isolate the animal - chance to relax
  • Observe him eating - chance to ensure he's not suffering in other ways
  • Feed some fatty frozen food, preferably medicated with metro/kanaplex and vitamins -- bind the kanaplex using Seachem Focus

IF you have a QT setup I would move there and basically do the same, so you can use something like Furan 2, but you'll need an ammonia badge and a good bubbler.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's nasty. My guess its clown on clown abuse. I would suggest isolating him into an isolation chamber...like one of those cheap plastic animal carriers you can pick up at walmart or amazon for cheap. melt some holes into it and mount into your tank with a cleaner magnet.

Give you a chance to:
  • Isolate the animal - chance to relax
  • Observe him eating - chance to ensure he's not suffering in other ways
  • Feed some fatty frozen food, preferably medicated with metro/kanaplex and vitamins -- bind the kanaplex using Seachem Focus

IF you have a QT setup I would move there and basically do the same, so you can use something like Furan 2, but you'll need an ammonia badge and a good bubbler.

I don't think feeding this fish antibiotics is going to save it. I think it needs more aggressive treatment. Antibiotics are bitter, they work slowly, and focus does a poor job of binding the right amounts.

If they can't do a QT tank, then you could still isolate it in the tank and do daily antibiotics baths in a bucket or such at a higher strength.

Sadly it is probably cheaper just to buy a new clownfish.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back