OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I vacuumed it by yesterday and did the other 3 things and it il almost 100% back already. Heck.

KIMG1186.JPG

KIMG1187.JPG

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a bit. Do it again and a lights out day or so.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely need to see this under the microscope.
With how much I have spent on this tank it may be worth running out and getting one. Where are those high school kids when you need them. They used to loan them out back when I was in school.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With how much I have spent on this tank it may be worth running out and getting one. Where are those high school kids when you need them. They used to loan them out back when I was in school.
you can send a sample of it to Todd too.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it does not look familiar to what I know of. Maybe this is a different genus of cyano bacteria??
cyano or spirulina. interesting its reaction to both an oxidiser and to the anti biotic. esp if you read the chemiclen nuked my tank thread in. thats a must read for you BTW.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cyano or spirulina. interesting its reaction to both an oxidiser and to the anti biotic. esp if you read the chemiclen nuked my tank thread in. thats a must read for you BTW.
I read that thread and just shook my head. I have extensively tested chemiclean. I gave my .02 cents and sometimes people just have to blame the product used.
Now spirulina is a genus of cyanobacteria as is cylindrospermum. Cyanobacteria has many genus lines I think over 2000 of them. There are common forms we introduce but most have the same cell structure.

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert, but does it smell like rotten eggs when u vacuum that spot? If it does, I think I've seen this before on my first tank before cyano really took off. I figured it to be anaerobic bacteria.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert, but does it smell like rotten eggs when u vacuum that spot? If it does, I think I've seen this before on my first tank before cyano really took off. I figured it to be anaerobic bacteria.
There was no noticeable smell when vacuuming.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update,
Nothing seams to be working. I have my phosphates and nitrites at nearly 0 now. I have tried chemiclean and H2O2 dosing. I have added a phosphate reactor and Bio pellet Reacter. I have tried turning off the lights for 2 days. I have done several big water changes. I have manually removed all I could. I have done everything I can think of. I also tried to send a sample to be photo'd under a microscope but something happened with the heat when it was mailed. Please help. I do not know what to try next. Nothing I do seams to affect it. it just grows back in a day or two and it is spreading. Thank you for all your ideas.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought of one thing when I was treating my tank for Aiptasia using Aiptasia-X. some of the Aiptasia-X fell off and onto the may. it turned it greenish bleached out color and killed it.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW it took me over 30 days to rehab a tank with massive cyano. So its the awful patience.
heres a thought, scoop some sand w some of the cyano into a container of rodi. wait a day and test the no and po.

Ill go back through the thread in a bit, and see if there's anything we missed, ans tell you the completely insane way I got rid of my massive cyano prob.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying a blackout and chimiclean. Please let me know if there are better options. I will test the sand as soon as I am done.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying a blackout and chimiclean. Please let me know if there are better options. I will test the sand as soon as I am done.
let us know how it goes. You dont want to mix treatments.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back