Help id coral

Falc!

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 19, 2022
Messages
388
Reaction score
394
Location
Oklahoma
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
19380E36-0191-43B6-9A06-2070C79C8F87.jpeg
I’ve had this guy for some time now, scored locally, all brown and dying about 1/6th the size he is now. no idea what it is and have wondered since I got him. He was flat flat but has some interesting growth now. I assume it’s some sort of monti but not sure. Pics in different lighting but he is very bright green and polyps are white in person, just hard to get a perfect rendering of true color in pics

DAE1CBE0-FEB1-4090-B31A-302A1C700DEC.jpeg
FC430EAB-DF63-4296-82A5-5726FB0BA9DE.jpeg
 
But what kind of monti, I’m pretty sure it’s not a cap
Not sure; there are ~250 nominal species of Montipora, many of them lost to the annals of museum collections and university libraries.

What we call "Montipora capricornis" are actually a multitude of other foliose Montipora species, such as M. aquituberculata, M. foliosa, or M. hogdsoni.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new