Help ID - Dinos Ost?

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, having fun with my new microscope and getting a little better with it and taking pics. I think this looks like Dinos? Which type?

Dinos7.PNG

Dinos6.PNG

Dinos5.PNG

Dinos4.PNG

Dinos3.PNG

Dinos2.PNG

Dinos1.PNG

OP
OP
B

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump? I had hope now that I can put it under the scope it would be easy. Anyone positively ID this??

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump? I had hope now that I can put it under the scope it would be easy. Anyone positively ID this??
No Clue :confused:
I'd like to tag along to see how you do a treatment if they are dino's. The one time that I got them I lost 80% of 2 year SPS growth :( before I brought the big guns out and stopped the damage.
That was along time ago and now I'd ask Randy for HELP!!!!!! :eek:

OP
OP
B

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I did some more research and finally determined its of the amphidinium sp. I'm so excited I've finally determined what I have. I will post videos tomorrow.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salty,
Do diatom filters help with getting rid of dino's?

Thanks, Freddie

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salty,
Do diatom filters help with getting rid of dino's?

Thanks, Freddie
yea it'll pull everything out that swims or floats. lowering the number of any organism greatly reduces their exponential breeding rates. its a first step imo.

If its a new yank with all dry rock they'll just go way on their own it seems as other microorganisms inhabit the tank.. 2016 was the year of the bryopsis. 2017 is turning into the year of the "dino". kinda mind blowing.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea it'll pull everything out that swims or floats. lowering the number of any organism greatly reduces their exponential breeding rates. its a first step imo.

If its a new yank with all dry rock they'll just go way on their own it seems as other microorganisms inhabit the tank.. 2016 was the year of the bryopsis. 2017 is turning into the year of the "dino". kinda mind blowing.

Salty,

Thank You!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting, thanks Salty. for me, 2012-2017 has been the year of the dinos!!!
really? How awful.
Here's an odd question(for my personal observations) What state do you live in?

OP
OP
B

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I live in PA. I've been through at least 2 tank re-starts and they keep getting out of control. As I've learned it must have to to with my husbandry. Ie - until very recently I always strived, no obsessed, for zero nutrients. that took up a good part of my last few years :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I live in PA. I've been through at least 2 tank re-starts and they keep getting out of control. As I've learned it must have to to with my husbandry. Ie - until very recently I always strived, no obsessed, for zero nutrients. that took up a good part of my last few years :)
fwiw, most all of the actual bad cases of dinos (i have seen)happen on the east coast. Generally, farther south.
but an invasive organism(bryosis etc), has little to do imo with husbandry and nutrients,

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at Randy Farleys article on problem Dino's and PH? Tried vibrant?

OP
OP
B

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fwiw, most all of the actual bad cases of dinos (i have seen)happen on the east coast. Generally, farther south.
but an invasive organism(bryosis etc), has little to do imo with husbandry and nutrients,

Interesting. I guess what I mean was, I get it "somehow" but it's always out of control b/c of my goals of zero nutrients.

OP
OP
B

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at Randy Farleys article on problem Dino's and PH? Tried vibrant?

I have and never tried anything with PH. Hmmmm. Oh and I have tried Vibrant and love it. It knocked out all GHA very quickly. Then dealt with Cyano like alot of others have. Then Dinos came, coexisting. I recently dosed Chemi-clean for the first time ever and it quickly and beautifully knocked out the Cyano and Spirulina. So now left with Dinos. Again.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back