Help ID possible Acro pest

Prevailing Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 24, 2014
Messages
1,335
Reaction score
1,065
Location
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3685.jpeg
IMG_3687.jpeg
IMG_3663.jpeg
IMG_3652.jpeg
I haven’t added any livestock to my tank for years. My acros have always grown well without any health issues that I could see. I noticed some of my acros are receding around the bases after a few years of growth. I’m pretty sure some, it is due to shading and they can recede as they grow up and outward. Some however have what appear to be not typical shaded flesh but random “spots” and “trails”.

So after lights went out last night, I shined a flashlight on the under side of one of the branches that had a random spot losing flesh on the under side (shaded) area of a branch. I saw a few tiny bugs crawling around very quickly. I’ve seen red bugs and these appeared even smaller with no red. They appeared black but they were so tiny that I’m amazed I even saw them.

I cut that branch off (Dan Ackroyd) colony and inspected under a microscope and found this on the area with the flesh gone. I’m not sure what this is or if it has anything to do with the issues going on. I also included a picture from a Cherry Bomb colony that has the strange thing going on with the base but appears okay otherwise.

Any help would be appreciated!
 
I would guess these are Black Bugs (they're pretty much the same as Red Bugs - they're both coral-parasitic copepods with the same treatments):
Yeah, white bugs, red bugs, black bugs, etc. (coral-parasitic pods) will almost exclusively be found on their host corals. For more info on these and for some closer up pics/drawings:
https://reefs.com/magazine/aquarium...measures-and-a-review-of-treatment-protocols/https://reefs.com/magazine/aquarium...arasites-part-two-copepods-family-xarifiidae/https://av.tib.eu/media/55499
 
I would guess these are Black Bugs (they're pretty much the same as Red Bugs - they're both coral-parasitic copepods with the same treatments):
Most of my colonies are very large, some 10 years old. Is there any possible system-wide treatment? This is a first for me. No way I can pull everything out to dip without hacking everything apart.
 
Most of my colonies are very large, some 10 years old. Is there any possible system-wide treatment? This is a first for me. No way I can pull everything out to dip without hacking everything apart.
I've heard of people doing in-tank treatments with Interceptor, but I don't think I've looked at the results of those treatments yet. To my knowledge, it would not be invert-safe, though, so you'll lose at least your beneficial pod population.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new