HELP ID - Red Crab on Zoa rock

about76gnomes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this little guy this morning poking out of the rock that has my zoa on it. Rock came from my LFS about a month ago and this morning was the first time I saw him. Anyone have any idea what it is and if it's safe or not? TIA!

PXL_20220602_143743793.MP.jpg PXL_20220602_143753660.MP.jpg

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that any type of crab can be a problem. Their willingness to eat anything in a pinch is part of the reason crabs are so successful in the ocean. However, lots of people keep crabs without a problem. I would keep it if I were you, it's a nice looking crab. However, I would keep an eye on it. If it starts eating things you don't want it to eat or it starts to get huge, pull it out.

OP
OP
about76gnomes

about76gnomes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that any type of crab can be a problem. Their willingness to eat anything in a pinch is part of the reason crabs are so successful in the ocean. However, lots of people keep crabs without a problem. I would keep it if I were you, it's a nice looking crab. However, I would keep an eye on it. If it starts eating things you don't want it to eat or it starts to get huge, pull it out.
Thanks! I was leaning towards this as well. He's been in the tank for the better part of a month with no issues to any of the other inhabitants, just finally decided to makehis presence known today I guess! He seems peaceful so far though, just hangs out inside small rock outcrops and whatnot. He seems to venture out when I feed the fish, that's when I noticed him peeking out today.

Looks like he'll be staying in Reeflandia on a temporary visa for now! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

OP
OP
about76gnomes

about76gnomes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found these other crabs, from top to bottom: reef crab, red emerald crab, mosaic reef crab.

F80CED91-AD41-4463-8C1A-C5201CFD523C.jpeg 2336EC30-5F63-4F53-8A2C-242CA459E98F.jpeg CB5B0C62-0B81-4A87-B4EF-BEC0E509A3AA.jpeg
I appreciate the research! I came across those, but they don't look quite the same because of the stripes. I also came across the red-ridged clingling crab which also looks somewhat close to it, so I guess it's a possible match.

1654206144319.png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the research! I came across those, but they don't look quite the same because of the stripes. I also came across the red-ridged clingling crab which also looks somewhat close to it, so I guess it's a possible match.
It's hard to find an exact match. Sometimes stripes/bands can vary from individual to individual. Most crabs I have that spend time in corals are simply scavenging for food (etc.) between the coral polyps, so I guess just keep a loose eye on him if you plan to keep in your display.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 47.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 65 32.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back