Help ID this coral please.

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased this coral from the LFS. They listed it as a type of galaxy coral. Couldn't find any info on it. The coral is a hard type. Not sure if it's an LPS.
20191209_104525.jpg
They said it has tentacles that will extend out at night. Haven't looked to see yet.

TIA

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Galaxea...type of LPS...yes, it sends out really long sweeper tentacles at night...don't keep it anywhere near other corals as the sweepers will sting.

OP
OP
H

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Galaxea...type of LPS...yes, it sends out really long sweeper tentacles at night...don't keep it anywhere near other corals as the sweepers will sting.

Thanks @dbraun15. Currently have it at the back corner of my tank. Don't have a lot of corals at the moment, so will be fine for the time being. May need to get rid of it later on, as it looks like the tentacles can reach over a feet long. That is crazy.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @dbraun15. Currently have it at the back corner of my tank. Don't have a lot of corals at the moment, so will be fine for the time being. May need to get rid of it later on, as it looks like the tentacles can reach over a feet long. That is crazy.
They do get some nasty sweepers and grows pretty fast I have mine in a corner on its own rock. Definitely like the coral but I will probably rehome mine as well at some point
Found mine did better in moderate flow

OP
OP
H

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do get some nasty sweepers and grows pretty fast I have mine in a corner on its own rock. Definitely like the coral but I will probably rehome mine as well at some point
Found mine did better in moderate flow

Got any pictures of your coral? Thanks!

OP
OP
H

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an older one. Its significantly larger now. I'll have to take a new pic of it. Came as a freebie from ASD
For me it really took off in higher flow

20190321_215346.jpg
My polyps don't come out like yours. They barely come out, like the picture in my first post. Do they prefer less light? I have mine in a bright location.
Thanks.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My polyps don't come out like yours. They barely come out, like the picture in my first post. Do they prefer less light? I have mine in a bright location.
Thanks.
Mine was closed like that when I first got it. I have mine on the sand bed. I'd say lower light and medium/high flow I have mine in a corner that gets a lot of turbulence. Can really see the polyps moving around

OP
OP
H

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was closed like that when I first got it. I have mine on the sand bed. I'd say lower light and medium/high flow I have mine in a corner that gets a lot of turbulence. Can really see the polyps moving around
Thanks. I'll move it to a dimmer location.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back