help id this crab

  • Thread starter Thread starter dean_p
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

dean_p

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 29, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
toronto
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi new here am hoping anyone can id this crab was bought as blue legged hermit clearly not. Concern is it has already gotten into the largest shell i own wondering if it is safe? also is hitchhiker on rock aiptisia? thanks any help here
20260316_162459.jpg
20260316_162451.jpg
20260316_162459.jpg
20260316_162459.jpg
20260316_162451.jpg
20260327_091448.jpg
 
Your rock hitchhiker is a feather duster. Harmless filter feeder.

The crab just looks like a run-of-the-mill hermit crab ( I don't know the specific species of it) I wouldn't worry about it.
 
Just keep an eye on him since if you don't have some old snail shells in your tank for him to grow into he will kill your snails for one.
 
Your rock hitchhiker is a feather duster. Harmless filter feeder.

The crab just looks like a run-of-the-mill hermit crab ( I don't know the specific species of it) I wouldn't worry about it.
oh thanks! i just dont want it to get larger, already in the biggest shells i have 1.5" i hope thats max size
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new