Help ID this hitchhiker

phillyb614

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I saw this guy crawling on the glass the other day. I couldn’t get a good shot of the other side of him until this evening. Does anyone know what this is? I almost want to say the underside of him looks like a starfish, but isn’t quite the shape of a star. It’s only about as big as my pinky nail. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

IMG_3909.jpeg IMG_3910.png

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asterina starfish. They do eat some soft coral so i would kill it.
Worth mentioning that the vast majority we see do not eat coral. Some people have issues with them multiplying in their tank very rapidly and just being everywhere, fewer have a variety that eats corals (and often they look somewhat like their target), and some, like myself, have had a few in the system for years with no negative outcomes.

The shape is because starfish have a really significant ability to regenerate missing parts. It's not uncommon to find a starfish that has one giant leg and a tiny body and that's because that one leg regenerated the rest of it.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth mentioning that the vast majority we see do not eat coral. Some people have issues with them multiplying in their tank very rapidly and just being everywhere, fewer have a variety that eats corals (and often they look somewhat like their target), and some, like myself, have had a few in the system for years with no negative outcomes.
I agree, most of them don't eat coral, but it isn't worth the risk in my opinion.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 104 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back