Help identifing algae type

Jrowe40213

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230917_152359.jpg

Anyone know what type of algae this is?
And best ways to get rid of it. It is rather a pain to remove manually. Thanks!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Yeah, that's a green macroalgae of some variety - macroalgae isn't my strong point yet (so you may want to post in the Macroalgae forum here on R2R to see if someone knows exactly what kind it is), but I know a large number of different green macro species can look like this, including Ulva spp., Monostroma spp., Gayralia spp., etc.

Regardless, the macroalgae should - to my current knowledge - be eaten by basically any herbivores you can put in a tank (tangs, rabbitfish, urchins, etc.).

OP
OP
J

Jrowe40213

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Yeah, that's a green macroalgae of some variety - macroalgae isn't my strong point yet (so you may want to post in the Macroalgae forum here on R2R to see if someone knows exactly what kind it is), but I know a large number of different green macro species can look like this, including Ulva spp., Monostroma spp., Gayralia spp., etc.

Regardless, the macroalgae should - to my current knowledge - be eaten by basically any herbivores you can put in a tank (tangs, rabbitfish, urchins, etc.).
Thank you! I'll have to go to the lfs tomorrow and see if they have any urchins. I picked at it for roughly a hour and got half a rock cleared. Never had this ty0e of algae before.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I'll have to go to the lfs tomorrow and see if they have any urchins. I picked at it for roughly a hour and got half a rock cleared. Never had this ty0e of algae before.
Just remember, with biological controls (like things that eat the algae), your results may vary.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 56 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 46 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back