Help identify algae in young reef tank (microscope images included)

MapleReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this nuisance algae growing on the rocks/sand for a while now. NO2 and NO3 are both 0, and PO4 is ~0.07mg/L (working on lowering slowly with Brightwell Phosphat-E slowly in a very small micron filter sock), so I imagine the algae is using NO2/NO3 as a nitrogen source to grow. I have 2 nerite snails, 2 clowns, and 1 branching hammer in the tank for now. The nerites don't seem to eat this algae.
Scrubbing the rocks with a toothbrush helped remove a lot, but it's already starting to grow back again.

I took some close up pics of the algae, as well as on the microscope at work at 25x, 100x, 200x, and 400x to help with identification.
Curious to hear what people think this could be, and what the best treatment or CUC addition would be!

Thanks.

I have some other pics here too, in a previous post.

Macro image in petri dish:
macro.jpeg

25x:
x25.jpeg

100x:
x100.jpeg

200x:
x200.jpeg

400x:
x400.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't to dodge the question, don't know the ID, but it has no bearing on recourse

Anyone who fixes reef algae issues doesn't alter modes between plant genus the most important part is the full tank picture. From that your lighting intensity/ trends towards way too bright/ stands out evident in the pic and other factors such as rock type (white vs coralline covered live rock) matters in recourse and bioloading of the tank... all from pictures vs just the plant

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a hair algae, maybe common GHA under high light.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%

Back