Help identify and create treatment plan for this algae needed

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 3 months old. Marco rocks were seeded with LR for 4 months prior to start up.

230 gal system
PH: 8.1
Alk: 7.9 (Hannah)
NO3: 0.3 (Hannah)
PO4: .02 (Hannah)
Ca: 440
Mg: 1275

2 Clownfish
5 Lyretail Anthias
3 PJ Cardinals
Sailfin Tang
Mandarin
Randall's Goby
Cleaner Shrimp
Fire Shrimp
Fighting Conch
3 Large Turbo snails
4 Trochus snails
6 Nasarius snails
2 Hermit Crabs (hitch hicked

Originally thought this was diatoms but it is sticky and does not blow off. Developed into dinos (stringy bubbles). Treated with reduced light, H2O2, MB7 and scrubbing/siphoning to defeat. This brown algae remains.

Standard green algaes are coating the glass daily and skimmer is pulling well.

Fish are fed 4 tumes with Reef Jerky/pellets plus 2 feedings of frozen mix. Tang gets (1) 4"x4" nori per day. (Been trying to raise NO3).

Corals are fed 1x per week Reef Roids and Red Sea AB+.

Scrubbed rock with toothbrush and siphoned sand bed yesterday but it was light.

Any ideas on id and treatment?
20230610_085555.jpg

20230610_085558.jpg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to experience various phases of algae over the course of the first year. Weekly water changes are essential and maintaining correct parameters which you are working on. You need a large diverse cleaner crew for your large tank also.

OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to experience various phases of algae over the course of the first year. Weekly water changes are essential and maintaining correct parameters which you are working on. You need a large diverse cleaner crew for your large tank also.
Thank you.

Currently performing 1.5 gallon AWC nightly (5% weekly).

What clean up crew would you recommend?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

Currently performing 1.5 gallon AWC nightly (5% weekly).

What clean up crew would you recommend?
Well looking at your current inventory, I would add more trochus, more tongan nassarius, astrella and big nerites. I use scarlet leg hermits which seem to last long and don't mess with corals. I have 3 tuxedo urchins so you could do 5 in yours.

The key to cleaners is diversity and having enough to keep up with the algae but not to many so they starve so build as the need presents itself.

I highly recommend saltwateraquarium.com for cleaners. They are big inverts and great quality and selection.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are able the buy some good pods, and feed (dose) the pods with live phytoplankton would be helpful as well.

OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well looking at your current inventory, I would add more trochus, more tongan nassarius, astrella and big nerites. I use scarlet leg hermits which seem to last long and don't mess with corals. I have 3 tuxedo urchins so you could do 5 in yours.

The key to cleaners is diversity and having enough to keep up with the algae but not to many so they starve so build as the need presents itself.

I highly recommend saltwateraquarium.com for cleaners. They are big inverts and great quality and selection.
Great information. Thank you.

That has been my worry - starving them. Also had some issues with dinos and thought their toxins were killing the snails I was adding.

We out an got 10 Margarita and 10 Cerith snails plus 2 Tuxedo/Velvet urchins (was all the LFS had). Really didn't want the urchins as they eat up coraline but figured they would be easy enough to remove if I had to. Will look at adding more snails and/or urchins.

OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are able the buy some good pods, and feed (dose) the pods with live phytoplankton would be helpful as well.
Thank you. I have added 9 jars of pods from Algaebarn over the last month and been feeding the tank their Ocean Magik phyto. Even adding them after lights out, beyween the Mandarin, Anthias and H2O2, I am not sure what remains.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great information. Thank you.

That has been my worry - starving them. Also had some issues with dinos and thought their toxins were killing the snails I was adding.

We out an got 10 Margarita and 10 Cerith snails plus 2 Tuxedo/Velvet urchins (was all the LFS had). Really didn't want the urchins as they eat up coraline but figured they would be easy enough to remove if I had to. Will look at adding more snails and/or urchins.
You're going to get GHA long before coraline and the urchins love that stuff. I have 3 urchins in my tank and it's still covered with coraline.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back