Help with this

stink4570

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this brown hair algae in my tank. I manually removed a lot of it and siphoned it at the same time about a week ago. Then I did a 3 day black out. I added Rowaphos at this time also.

Week later it came back.

Todays Nitrate is 0 phosphate .02

Last week after blackout both No3 and PO4 were 0.

Prior to blackout No3 was .7 and po4 .02.

I run a roller mat, Algae scrubber and a skimmer and now for a week rowaphos.

2 tangs and an urchin some snails for algae eating.

Tank was set up in late April with dry marco rock. I added a few new pieces of dry marco rock a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks for any help

20231009_110916.jpg 20231009_111037.jpg

OP
OP
S

stink4570

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell from your pictures but based on what you posted, I suspect you've developed dinos due to your nutrients bottoming out.
It's this hair algae that I tried to circle in this pic I attached

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231009_121447_Photo Editor.jpg
    Screenshot_20231009_121447_Photo Editor.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 40

itelshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nitrates and Phosphate have always been low only a few times my nitrate hit 1.0
I have recently wrote this post where i shortly described how now i`m fiting dinos. It seems to me, like you have dino dust on algae, as i have now.
I did 3 day full blackout with garbage plastic bags on tank as you too.
Also when i faced dinos for the first time a month ago my water got a bit stinky, but before it had no smells (maybe it`s a sign of dino too). I can write what i`m doing with lights intensity now, if you want

OP
OP
S

stink4570

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently wrote this post where i shortly described how now i`m fiting dinos. It seems to me, like you have dino dust on algae, as i have now.
I did 3 day full blackout with garbage plastic bags on tank as you too.
Also when i faced dinos for the first time a month ago my water got a bit stinky, but before it had no smells (maybe it`s a sign of dino too). I can write what i`m doing with lights intensity now, if you want
Sure thanks for the info

itelshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure thanks for the info
And yeah, people say that it can be caused by 0 no3, po4.
I, on the contrary, before my outbreak began to dose them, rather the opposite - overdosed: dosed at 0.05-0.1 per day, now I do 0.01. And all because (and even still) that phosphate does not grow, almost undetectable and is absorbed so far stones with sand (it is normal, later, as fellows said, stones will give po4 out). In conjunction with peroxide it seems to have shaken the balance and there was room for reproduction of dinos, which for 3-4 weeks began to cover more and more intensively, there was "snot" and corals for the duration of this time also closed one then second, third, than all looked not good, as far as I understand, from toxins - so I first in life tried to use carbon. There in the store felow advised me to make a blackout, I also put carbon at once.
The blackout was 3 days.
The tactic is this: after the blackout, I removed all warm colors (red, green, white, ultraviolet). I left only deep blue with a power of one third of what it was before the blackout. Blue, as I was told, can also act like white - so it worked at half of deep blue.

As you can see from the post - dino is still there, but not in critical quantities, I think then about dosing bacteria.
Back to tactics: every 3-5 days I now try to turn on all LEDs (all colors), but at low power for now.
All the way through the corals are relatively fine, even breeding, but slower.
I have already raised the red and green a bit. (I was told if dino start showing up- to abruptly roll settings back and wait 2 weeks on the previous settings or lower - and only then try to raise again, give time to microflora to recover and displace dino, there is no hurry).
In a few days I think to try to return UV diodes, and after that white light, wait a week-2 and if everything will be ok- start to raise all warm colors from the minimum levels
I'VE ALSO BEEN TOLD TO FORGET FOR SIX MONTHS ABOUT FEEDING WITH Red Sea reef energy AB+.
On the other side o got some experience with fighting it and got rid of old mass algae on old stones to create space for planting corals with peroxide`s help:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

itelshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I, on the contrary, before my outbreak began to dose them, rather the opposite - overdosed: dosed at 0.05-0.1 per day, now I do 0.01. And all because (and even still) that phosphate does not grow, almost undetectable and is absorbed so far stones with sand (it is normal, later, as fellows said, stones will give po4 out). In conjunction with peroxide it seems to have shaken the balance and there was room for reproduction of dinos, which for 3-4 weeks began to cover more and more intensively, there was "snot" and corals for the duration of this time also closed one then second, third, than all looked not good, as far as I understand, from toxins - so I first in life tried to use carbon. There in the store felow advised me to make a blackout, I also put carbon at once.
The blackout was 3 days.
The tactic is this: after the blackout, I removed all warm colors (red, green, white, ultraviolet). I left only deep blue with a power of one third of what it was before the blackout. Blue, as I was told, can also act like white - so it worked at half of deep blue.

As you can see from the post - dino is still there, but not in critical quantities, I think then about dosing bacteria.
Back to tactics: every 3-5 days I now try to turn on all LEDs (all colors), but at low power for now.
I have already raised the red and green a bit. (I was told if dino start showing up- to abruptly roll settings back and wait 2 weeks on the previous settings or lower - and only then try to raise again, give time to microflora to recover and displace dino, there is no hurry).
In a few days I think to try to return UV diodes, and after that white light, wait a week-2 and if everything will be ok- start to raise all warm colors from the minimum levels
I'VE ALSO BEEN TOLD TO FORGET FOR SIX MONTHS ABOUT FEEDING WITH Red Sea reef energy AB+.
On the other side o got some experience with fighting it and got rid of old mass algae on old stones to create space for planting corals with peroxide`s help:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Oh, also i have gas bubbles in algae where dinoss settles in

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have this brown hair algae in my tank. I manually removed a lot of it and siphoned it at the same time about a week ago. Then I did a 3 day black out. I added Rowaphos at this time also.

Week later it came back.

Todays Nitrate is 0 phosphate .02

Last week after blackout both No3 and PO4 were 0.

Prior to blackout No3 was .7 and po4 .02.

I run a roller mat, Algae scrubber and a skimmer and now for a week rowaphos.

2 tangs and an urchin some snails for algae eating.

Tank was set up in late April with dry marco rock. I added a few new pieces of dry marco rock a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks for any help

20231009_110916.jpg 20231009_111037.jpg
I see both hair algae and calothrix which calothrix has a hairy appearance and being fuzzy has a capability of trapping air bubbles giving it a false appearance of dino. You want to pull as much of this substance as you can and remove rock and place in a container of tank water and scrub with a stiff detail brush or toothbrush and agitate to loosen the particulate and return to tank. Add some cleaners such as astrea-cerith-margarita and nerites snails as well as chiton snails if you can find any, pitho crabs and even a fighting conch
Is this tank at or near a window?

OP
OP
S

stink4570

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see both hair algae and calothrix which calothrix has a hairy appearance and being fuzzy has a capability of trapping air bubbles giving it a false appearance of dino. You want to pull as much of this substance as you can and remove rock and place in a container of tank water and scrub with a stiff detail brush or toothbrush and agitate to loosen the particulate and return to tank. Add some cleaners such as astrea-cerith-margarita and nerites snails as well as chiton snails if you can find any, pitho crabs and even a fighting conch
It's in a basement. There are windows but the light from them are very minimal

OP
OP
S

stink4570

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if I cant remove the rock?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What if I cant remove the rock?
Attach a siphon hose to scrubber brush and scrub and siphon at the same time. You may have to repeat this step opposed to doing it outside of tank

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It's in a basement. There are windows but the light from them are very minimal
It may be the indirect light/uv causing this. Black construction paper over the window or side facing window will reduce ability to produce algae

OP
OP
S

stink4570

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blackout was 3 days.

Thanks

OP
OP
S

stink4570

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a microscope and this is what I see

Attachments

• 20231023_141303.jpg
    20231023_141303.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20231023_141432.jpg
    20231023_141432.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20231023_141508.jpg
    20231023_141508.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20231023_144545.jpg
    20231023_144545.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20231023_142323.mp4
    7.7 MB

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back