Just got 50g tank from my friend and need some help with these corals
Thank you

2B86D1E9-AF6B-4C6E-AEFD-6DA1EED34958.jpeg

Naso110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoanthids have smaller, shorter tentacles and usually come in a wide variety of bright colors. The oral disc of their polyps appears to be round. ... Palythoas are generally duller in color. The polyps usually come with longer, larger tentacles, and the oral disc on these polyps resembles a slit.( Copied from Google) I think it is palys. though

Tumey

Reefer With A Broken Brain ( TBI Survivor )
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protopalythoa, if you’re not familiar with these please do some research on palytoxin as these brown guys are full of it.

Welcome to R2R!

OP
OP
My1k

My1k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for all your replays
Will be study about these guys over the weekend

Last edited:
OP
OP
My1k

My1k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t agree more but some article makes me worry…
Some zoanthidae contain palytoxin, a chemical that can cause serious illness or DEATH if you get trace quantities on your lips, eyes, or in a cut. Hawaiians used to use this toxin as a weapon of war. Be sure to wash hands after touching them. Dry your wet hands on a paper towel before heading to the sink and dispose of that paper towel immediately. Zoanthidae can also be fatal if eaten by other pets.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t agree more but some article makes me worry…
Some zoanthidae contain palytoxin, a chemical that can cause serious illness or DEATH if you get trace quantities on your lips, eyes, or in a cut. Hawaiians used to use this toxin as a weapon of war. Be sure to wash hands after touching them. Dry your wet hands on a paper towel before heading to the sink and dispose of that paper towel immediately. Zoanthidae can also be fatal if eaten by other pets.
Looks like palys.

I always wash my hands after being in my fish tank anyway, as my hands are sticky.

As long as you don't go straight from touching your zoas/palys to touching your face, you should be fine.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about the palytoxin. Not only is it potentially lethal to humans, it can also nuke your tank if released. It's not worth keeping what is honestly an unattractive and prolific species especially for a beginner. While I can't say for certain from your original photo, it's possible you could have P. toxica. It's just not worth it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
My1k

My1k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much everyone who’s help me ID this beast. Now it’s looks much better
17CA5BF3-44B4-40B7-8154-9A225C454C0B.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back