Is this an Acan?

reefonomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefers, I just started my reef journey and got my first coral. As a newbie, I randomly got a coral to start with in my 10 gallon tank without knowing much about what I am buying. The store said it was an Acan but I am not sure if it is so. Can you guys help me identify the type?

IMG_6968.jpg

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, either the guy who sold me is unaware or he picked the wrong one from the frags thinking its an Acan
Ot is however a great starter coral!! So you did well in getting that one. I also like Duncan corals for starters and zoas. Just because it is easy to grow doesn't mean it needs to go in your tank.

So like Xenia and GSP are also easy but they spread a lot and cover a tank quickly.

Leathers are my favorite and probably the most forgiving of all the corals. A nice leather goes a long way. My clowns actually host one of my leathers.

20240317_174934.jpg

They really like this leather.

OP
OP
R

reefonomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ot is however a great starter coral!! So you did well in getting that one. I also like Duncan corals for starters and zoas. Just because it is easy to grow doesn't mean it needs to go in your tank.

So like Xenia and GSP are also easy but they spread a lot and cover a tank quickly.

Leathers are my favorite and probably the most forgiving of all the corals. A nice leather goes a long way. My clowns actually host one of my leathers.

20240317_174934.jpg

They really like this leather.
I like Zoas too, they are colorful and kinda easy to grow is what I learned. I have two clown fishes in the tank and thinking to get Gonipora/flower pots for them

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Zoas too, they are colorful and kinda easy to grow is what I learned. I have two clown fishes in the tank and thinking to get Gonipora/flower pots for them
Gonis are really cool. They used to be very hard to keep back in the day. They are much easier now but still I would make sure your tank stays stable for a little while before getting them. I have alveopora in my tank which I call the poor man's gonis. I like then but the tentacles aren't as long.

Clowns will also sometimes host hammer frogspawns or torches. I havent talked mine into any of them yet though. It's been 4 years and they only seem to like leathers so far.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold off on the flower pots for a while. Clowns can also beat them to death pretty easily. Good luck with the rhodactis.

OP
OP
R

reefonomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonis are really cool. They used to be very hard to keep back in the day. They are much easier now but still I would make sure your tank stays stable for a little while before getting them. I have alveopora in my tank which I call the poor man's gonis. I like then but the tentacles aren't as long.

Clowns will also sometimes host hammer frogspawns or torches. I havent talked mine into any of them yet though. It's been 4 years and they only seem to like leathers so far.
Yes, I am gonna wait for a bit here and be patient before I introduce anything new. I will add torches & hammers to wishlist as well.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I am gonna wait for a bit here and be patient before I introduce anything new. I will add torches & hammers to wishlist as well.
Sometimes frogspawns or octospawns can be cheaper and I think they look just as cool. Picked up a 4 head one this weekend for the price of essentially a one head hammer and definitely less than a torch.

20240317_174911.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back