Help identify growth on rocks

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help identifying this growth on my rocks. And a potential way to control?

They are small white calcified polyps, and are difficult to pull off, I just end up cutting them off. They are growing all over my rocks.

DC3D8AAE-EFF2-434D-BDA6-790C31702C40.jpeg

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acetabularia sp. (mermaid's wine glass). This is a rare, calcified green macroalgae that is said to be very delicate and somewhat difficult to care for. Doesn't look quite like the related and more invasive Parvocaulis.
@shwareefer may have more information on removal.
1660875520035.png

OP
OP
vabben

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acetabularia sp. (mermaid's wine glass). This is a rare, calcified green macroalgae that is said to be very delicate and somewhat difficult to care for. Doesn't look quite like the related and more invasive Parvocaulis.
1660875520035.png
Thank you for the quick reply! Defiantly looks like mermaids wine glass though have never seen any color out of it. The photo looks similar though not to that level of overgrowth.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1660875520035.png
I've got two tuxedo urchins eating mine now. First thing I've introduced that consistently eat it. It still grows back but because they also decimate the rock surface when they consume it, it takes a little longer to rebound.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 38 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 20.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 28 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back