Help identify this algae

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this brown algae growing on some of my live rock it's starting to get out of control can't seem to get rid of it all my parameters are good. I run gfo do weekly water changes the tank is over a year old. Google search but can't find out what it is. Just started using bio mate from Korallen-Zucht to see it will help anyone know what it is and how to get rid of it thanks

20160315_165842.jpg

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chrysophytes, we think. been seeing more lately. ive cured threads of it with direct peroxide applications. atypical invader, not likely to respond to nutrient changes responds better to direct action on target, but opinions range on that. our pest algae challenge thread in the macros plants forum has good pics, linked to other sites I have a few chrysophyte cures on the big reefcentral thread linked there. for your tank its no big jump off...all it would be is a single test rock. lift out a funk covered rock, dump peroxide across it and the target out of the tank, let it cook 4 mins, dump again mid wait, rinse off lightly to -not- dislodge the target, leave it in place in tank for assessment/response.

compare to untreated areas in 48 hours I bet its stark. I bet the treated rock is cleaner by large degree. if not, we wasted no time for the rest of your tank.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the thread shows all the ones that tolerate and don't, but for your case pour around it don't hit the corals, just a small spot of the offender only contacted. this is so handy so that you don't have to jump off full tank run on a guess...even finding grazers for this stuff is hard, I know of none. there are some, but I don't know them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back