Help Identifying Coral!

SoCal_Finn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS gave me a coral but I don't know what kind it is, said it was a beginner coral.

Thanks for your help!

IMG_2676.jpeg

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! My understanding is that they contain toxins? I'm skeptical about keeping anything that contains toxins as I am new to the hobby.
Those look like zoas to me. Really dont have much to worry about. To make them release any toxins at all you would have to boil them or something. I would say enjoy your free coral:)

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm not sure I would be quite as non chalant around zoas/palys as the previous commenter but you shouldn't fear them. It can take a lot less than boiling, however.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi ,be careful ,to wash hands well after handling,don't touch eyes,just touching them can put the toxin on your hands,wash 3x make sure!! happy reefing

OP
OP
SoCal_Finn

SoCal_Finn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought some chemical gloves and cheap coral propagation kit on Amazon, I figured i'll need them for all corals.

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! My understanding is that they contain toxins? I'm skeptical about keeping anything that contains toxins as I am new to the hobby.

You're definitely not alone! When I got my first hammer, there was a small palythoa polyp on it. I literally freaked out and went back to the LFS to have them frag it off me. Upon doing more research, I am just echoing the great advice from the others! As long as you take proper precautions (Wear gloves/goggles when fragging and don't get any of that slime on your face/cuts), they are very colorful and easy to care for corals to have in your tank. Happy Reefing!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought some chemical gloves and cheap coral propagation kit on Amazon, I figured i'll need them for all corals.

Also goggles and if you are a mouth breather, I'd recommend a mask. Zoas can squirt.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back