Help identifying disease

YellowThunder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I freshwater dipped my panther grouper as I believe it has flukes along with the Lionfish in my tank. They are pretty big both 8+ inches and there is also an eel in there however what came off doesn’t seem to be flukes I have a video of the bucket and just need help identifying it. Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I freshwater dipped my panther grouper as I believe it has flukes along with the Lionfish in my tank. They are pretty big both 8+ inches and there is also an eel in there however what came off doesn’t seem to be flukes I have a video of the bucket and just need help identifying it. Thanks

I couldn’t see much in the container. There was some mucus floating at the surface. There could be flukes mixed in that mucus, but you’d need a microscope to see them.

What symptoms are the fish showing?
Was there any improvement after the dip?

Jay

OP
OP
Y

YellowThunder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t see much in the container. There was some mucus floating at the surface. There could be flukes mixed in that mucus, but you’d need a microscope to see them.

What symptoms are the fish showing?
Was there any improvement after the dip?

Jay
Stopped eating. Sometimes flashing, most lethargic, pretty hard breathing sometimes looks like he’s choking. I really don’t know what to do he didn’t improve. However there is a snowflake eel in the tank that’s thriving still and he’s the one I’m trying to make sure lives but hopefully he can resist the disease since he’s a eel but I’m not quite sure.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopped eating. Sometimes flashing, most lethargic, pretty hard breathing sometimes looks like he’s choking. I really don’t know what to do he didn’t improve. However there is a snowflake eel in the tank that’s thriving still and he’s the one I’m trying to make sure lives but hopefully he can resist the disease since he’s a eel but I’m not quite sure.
Can you post a video? Eels don’t get ich, and your grouper could have a really advanced case of ich, not flukes.
If it was flukes, you will see some improvement in the grouper about 24 hours after the dip, but then flukes still in the tank will begin to infect the grouper again (and then you can start another treatment).
Jay

OP
OP
Y

YellowThunder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics sorry I don’t know how to send videos whenever I try it can’t play. However I do notice the eel doing some head shakes not aggressively but just shaking once or twice I’m wondering if that’s another sign.
IMG_3728.jpeg
IMG_3729.jpeg
IMG_3730.jpeg
IMG_3731.jpeg

OP
OP
Y

YellowThunder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the Lionfish who sort of does have some white dots on him but I think they’re sand particles could be wrong. He is also not eating showing same signs.
IMG_3732.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Here are some pics sorry I don’t know how to send videos whenever I try it can’t play. However I do notice the eel doing some head shakes not aggressively but just shaking once or twice I’m wondering if that’s another sign.
IMG_3728.jpeg
IMG_3729.jpeg
IMG_3730.jpeg
IMG_3731.jpeg
Its hard to tell on a panther grouper which are so white to begin with but I do see some spots. The water appears hazy and can be due to eel's lack of housekeeping as they are messy housekeepers and often drive up Nitrate levels.
If flukes including signs you mentioned, you will see rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color.
Many seem to show on this fish. Assure water quality is good and that ammonia-nitrate-ph are not elevated and salinity is not too low

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Here is the Lionfish who sort of does have some white dots on him but I think they’re sand particles could be wrong. He is also not eating showing same signs.
IMG_3732.jpeg
While dots can be sand, they appear also as ich. Lionfish treat best with use of chloroquine phosphate in lieu of copper treatments

OP
OP
Y

YellowThunder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to tell on a panther grouper which are so white to begin with but I do see some spots. The water appears hazy and can be due to eel's lack of housekeeping as they are messy housekeepers and often drive up Nitrate levels.
If flukes including signs you mentioned, you will see rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color.
Many seem to show on this fish. Assure water quality is good and that ammonia-nitrate-ph are not elevated and salinity is not too low
The water is not hazy it’s the inside of the tank that hasn’t been cleaned the water is all clear inside. Here are pictures of the parameters.
IMG_3684.jpeg
IMG_3685.jpeg
IMG_3686.jpeg
IMG_3687.jpeg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The water is not hazy it’s the inside of the tank that hasn’t been cleaned the water is all clear inside. Here are pictures of the parameters.
IMG_3684.jpeg
IMG_3685.jpeg
IMG_3686.jpeg
IMG_3687.jpeg
Your water is above the sample line and may not be accurate as the type of kit rarely is but assure to shake the daylights out of test agent and get water precisely to the tube line

OP
OP
Y

YellowThunder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your water is above the sample line and may not be accurate as the type of kit rarely is but assure to shake the daylights out of test agent and get water precisely to the tube line
It’s above the sample line because you fill it to the sample line then add the drops that were stated.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It’s above the sample line because you fill it to the sample line then add the drops that were stated.
That I know but it seemed higher than norm but may be angle in pic.

OP
OP
Y

YellowThunder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That I know but it seemed higher than norm but may be angle in pic.
If it was flukes after a freshwater dip shouldn’t it have seemed like it improved? I’m not too familiar with flukes only had experiences with ich before but I’ve heard that flukes improve after a freshwater dip.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3732.jpeg

I posted in your other thread (this gets confusing!) your pH looks to be below 7.4 - that is too low. Let us know if the pH rises after you aerate the tank well overnight.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If it was flukes after a freshwater dip shouldn’t it have seemed like it improved? I’m not too familiar with flukes only had experiences with ich before but I’ve heard that flukes improve after a freshwater dip.
No- as FW dip is intended for temporary relief and Not a cure

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yeah but shouldn’t I have seen him tempor

Somewhat if so.
Yeah but shouldn’t I have seen him temporarily get a little better or no?
The purpose is to get the fluke worms to dislodge which in turn offers the fish relief from the irritation

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back