Help Identifying New Creatures

Chris Kunz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was doing a water change recently I happened to look in the back of my Biocube 32 (my first saltwater tank, it is currently 6m old) where the sump area is and found a lot of these creepy little white guys that look like the barnacles on half-life 2! Needless to say, they really creep me out and I am not sure where they came from/what caused them/if they are bad for the tank. I have spent a lot of time looking at pictures on google, but can’t seem to find some that look like these guys. Any information you guys can give me would be really appreciated. Thank you in advance!

20171126_124639.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of a hard picture to see but they look like pineapple sponges. Very common to find in sumps and areas of high flow. They're a good filter feeders:)

OP
OP
C

Chris Kunz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will they eventually move into the display part of the tank, as they seem to be reproducing quite rapidly? If so is there a way to slow them down?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will they eventually move into the display part of the tank, as they seem to be reproducing quite rapidly? If so is there a way to slow them down?
I have a ton in my sump, but haven't seen any in my display tank. I think they prefer the dark areas as they always show up in the sump :)

OP
OP
C

Chris Kunz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I can't believe how quickly you guys identified those! I guess I can continue my water changes without being to worried. It was just a bit of a shock to think there was nothing back there and to see it covered with little guys I didn't recognize.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I can't believe how quickly you guys identified those! I guess I can continue my water changes without being to worried. It was just a bit of a shock to think there was nothing back there and to see it covered with little guys I didn't recognize.
I haven't been in the hobby long (2 years) but been through the new stages and went through similar identification questions. Virtually every new reefer does :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back