Help identifying snail

eric-atl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen these guys periodically in my tank for years. They're small, around 1/2" to 3/4" long, seem to be mostly on the glass or rocks, and have a little brown bit of shell at the very back of their tail. I haven't been able to get a better picture than this, but their proboscis has darker splotches on the top, so I believe they're a kind of whelk. They haven't caused any problems that I'm aware of. I've seen opinions ranging from "they're fine if you don't have clams" to "kill it with fire!", though, so I would at least like to determine the species to know if there are particular incompatibilities I should know about. I'm pretty certain that they breed in the tank, as I find shells on occasion (as do the hermit crabs :)). I've never been aware of more than 3 or 4 at any given time, though, so not getting out of control.

IMG_20220325_013956.jpg

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen these guys periodically in my tank for years. They're small, around 1/2" to 3/4" long, seem to be mostly on the glass or rocks, and have a little brown bit of shell at the very back of their tail. I haven't been able to get a better picture than this, but their proboscis has darker splotches on the top, so I believe they're a kind of whelk. They haven't caused any problems that I'm aware of. I've seen opinions ranging from "they're fine if you don't have clams" to "kill it with fire!", though, so I would at least like to determine the species to know if there are particular incompatibilities I should know about. I'm pretty certain that they breed in the tank, as I find shells on occasion (as do the hermit crabs :)). I've never been aware of more than 3 or 4 at any given time, though, so not getting out of control.

IMG_20220325_013956.jpg
looks like it could be a harmful Whelk, most have risks of eating other snails, and clams. Some even eat corals. I would remove just in case.

OP
OP
E

eric-atl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are they mostly out at dusk to dark?
I haven't noticed them favoring a particular time of day, but I can keep an eye out

looks like it could be a harmful Whelk, most have risks of eating other snails, and clams. Some even eat corals. I would remove just in case.
I hate to kill things "just in case", but I do always wonder if they're to blame any time a coral looks bad LOL

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back