Help Identifying This. Algae?

NoMu Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

There are 2 things in my tank i’m not sure what they are or how to get rid of them. The first image below is the brown spots all over the glass of my tank. I scrape it off and it grows right back, would cover the whole glass if I let it, I was wondering how I fix that. The second pic is that white tube like growth coming off my rocks, it’s on another rock in the back as well and I was wondering what it is? Any help would be great. Thanks.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo 2 seems to have an aiptasia but think you mean pictured under aiptasia, so I'll defer to others

also defer to others on photo 1

for aiptasia, I'd use Frank's F-Aiptasia to smother

OP
OP
NoMu Fish

NoMu Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo 2 seems to have an aiptasia but think you mean pictured under aiptasia, so I'll defer to others

also defer to others on photo 1

for aiptasia, I'd use Frank's F-Aiptasia to smother
Thank you! I’ll look into that Frank’s stuff. and I know, i’ve been neglecting that aiptasia and it’s huge now! ahaha

OP
OP
NoMu Fish

NoMu Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reckon the brown stuff might be diatoms and the tubes, idk, sponge or worms?
That’s what I thought at first but every single day for last 4 weeks they’re all over the glass, and they’re not easy to scrape off either, kinda annoying. Could it be Cyano? That’s the only other thing that’s popped up on my research?

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old's the tank? The first pic (glass) looks like diatoms. They're typical in a new tank due to imbalanced nutrients, but they can also appear later too if anything is off. Excess silicates, phosphates, or nitrates can cause a bloom even in a more mature tank.

The second looks like tunicates. Harmless filter feeders.

OP
OP
NoMu Fish

NoMu Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old's the tank? The first pic (glass) looks like diatoms. They're typical in a new tank due to imbalanced nutrients, but they can also appear later too if anything is off. Excess silicates, phosphates, or nitrates can cause a bloom even in a more mature tank.

The second looks like tunicates. Harmless filter feeders.
The tank is around 6 months old so that is very probable. My tank nitrates are 0 my phosphates we’re a little higher in my last testing at around 15 ppm, and silicates i’m not sure but I use RO/DI water. And ok as long as they’re harmless then i’m ok with that!

OP
OP
NoMu Fish

NoMu Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is around 6 months old so that is very probable. My tank nitrates are 0 my phosphates we’re a little higher in my last testing at around 15 ppm, and silicates i’m not sure but I use RO/DI water. And ok as long as they’re harmless then i’m ok with that!
I mixed those up on accident! I’m sure that’s clear

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1634095349359.png

Do the tubes look like this up close? These are cryptic sponges and can really spread over time. I was able to stop all feeding in the tank for a week and it killed them off.

OP
OP
NoMu Fish

NoMu Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1634095349359.png

Do the tubes look like this up close? These are cryptic sponges and can really spread over time. I was able to stop all feeding in the tank for a week and it killed them off.
Yes, that’s them! I have 2 patches of them in different locations, i’ll try the same method! Thank you

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back