Help identifying this gold spots…

megan.911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very new if you’ve seen my posts before I am only on week two of salt tanks… in the last few days these gold spots have appeared I am not sure what they are I would appreciate any information or help! It’s also growing on the walls is this normal algae? Or am I over feeding and left over food is causing this?

image.jpg image.jpg

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very new if you’ve seen my posts before I am only on week two of salt tanks… in the last few days these gold spots have appeared I am not sure what they are I would appreciate any information or help! It’s also growing on the walls is this normal algae? Or am I over feeding and left over food is causing this?

image.jpg image.jpg
Hey welcome to reef2reef and the hobby!! That would be diotom algae it’s very common in a newly cycled tank or in a tank with lots of nutrients. It should go away on its own. Might I ask how did you cycle your tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Confirmed diatoms. Diatoms are a brown algae that typically appear in a reef tank that has just completed its cycle but they can also appear in an established reef tank. They can cover sand, rock, pumps, glass, you name it. Diatoms look ugly but in most cases they are harmless so the key is to not panic when they appear.
Diatoms feed mainly off of silicates but also consume dissolved organic compounds, phosphate and nitrates. Unfiltered tap water can contain silicates and is a good way to jump start a bloom if you use it to mix salt or to replace water that evaporated from the tank. The best way to prevent this from happening is to filter water through a RODI unit, although you can still get a diatom bloom when using RODI if the cartridge that removes silicates expires.
diatoms are typically harmless to a captive reef and can be beaten once their food source expires. Once you put the kibosh on the source, the outbreak should last a couple of weeks so just be patient and it will pass. For major outbreaks you may want to consider the three day blackout. Diatoms are easily wiped from the glass with a mag float, a turkey baster or a toothbrush can access other areas of the tank. Be prepared for them to re-establish themselves quickly, they are likely to be able to resettle and have exponential growth rates.
To prevent their return, practice good aquarium husbandry by doing regular water changes, keep the substrate clean, don’t overfeed the fish, ensure your skimmer is running at an optimal level and rinse out filter socks and sponges on a regular basis.
Some cleaner crew to help control it are : Cerith snails, Nerite snails and Trochus snails and also Astraea snails are effective at removing diatoms.

OP
OP
megan.911

megan.911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey welcome to reef2reef and the hobby!! That would be diotom algae it’s very common in a newly cycled tank or in a tank with lots of nutrients. It should go away on its own. Might I ask how did you cycle your tank?
I am still learning all of the process I was forced into starting early by someone leaving the hobby and having to start my tank after cycling without anything except Kenya trees and Green star Pallup I’m sure I’m spelling that wrong. I used Dr Tim’s aquatics one and only live nitrifying bacteria let that run a few days with my live rock and any plants I had inside. After a few days then my sexy shrimp and crab went in after making sure my trees and green star started blooming and staying stable/new growth I do think I over fed and that the left over food was left out laying as there’s only a Pom Pom crab and three mini sexy shrimp in a 13.5 gallon tank I have left the light on nearly the entire time without any darkness breaks because I was worried about my Kenya trees and green star but I ran a darkness test left the light off for four hours green star and Kenya trees popped right back out and stood up after only 25 minutes of turning the light back on. I’m going to be honest so don’t come for me you guys I am brand new to the hobby I haven’t got any test kits yet for checking my levels just a salinity checker and temp… I know it’s wrong but I haven’t got the chance to go back to my lfs and get them yet. That’s why I have no fish or corals I don’t want to get them til I’ve got this down. I did buy premixed salt water from the top rated/reviewed lfs and have bought a RO water system that is Built into my shop (where I have my tank) (I also use RO for my humidor) it’s a brand new system for when I need to replace water when levels drop due to evaporation… that’s where I am at so far everything was going great and yesterday I started to notice a few spots and today it’s increased.

OP
OP
megan.911

megan.911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still learning all of the process I was forced into starting early by someone leaving the hobby and having to start my tank after cycling without anything except Kenya trees and Green star Pallup I’m sure I’m spelling that wrong. I used Dr Tim’s aquatics one and only live nitrifying bacteria let that run a few days with my live rock and any plants I had inside. After a few days then my sexy shrimp and crab went in after making sure my trees and green star started blooming and staying stable/new growth I do think I over fed and that the left over food was left out laying as there’s only a Pom Pom crab and three mini sexy shrimp in a 13.5 gallon tank I have left the light on nearly the entire time without any darkness breaks because I was worried about my Kenya trees and green star but I ran a darkness test left the light off for four hours green star and Kenya trees popped right back out and stood up after only 25 minutes of turning the light back on. I’m going to be honest so don’t come for me you guys I am brand new to the hobby I haven’t got any test kits yet for checking my levels just a salinity checker and temp… I know it’s wrong but I haven’t got the chance to go back to my lfs and get them yet. That’s why I have no fish or corals I don’t want to get them til I’ve got this down. I did buy premixed salt water from the top rated/reviewed lfs and have bought a RO water system that is Built into my shop (where I have my tank) (I also use RO for my humidor) it’s a brand new system for when I need to replace water when levels drop due to evaporation… that’s where I am at so far everything was going great and yesterday I started to notice a few spots and todays

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still learning all of the process I was forced into starting early by someone leaving the hobby and having to start my tank after cycling without anything except Kenya trees and Green star Pallup I’m sure I’m spelling that wrong. I used Dr Tim’s aquatics one and only live nitrifying bacteria let that run a few days with my live rock and any plants I had inside. After a few days then my sexy shrimp and crab went in after making sure my trees and green star started blooming and staying stable/new growth I do think I over fed and that the left over food was left out laying as there’s only a Pom Pom crab and three mini sexy shrimp in a 13.5 gallon tank I have left the light on nearly the entire time without any darkness breaks because I was worried about my Kenya trees and green star but I ran a darkness test left the light off for four hours green star and Kenya trees popped right back out and stood up after only 25 minutes of turning the light back on. I’m going to be honest so don’t come for me you guys I am brand new to the hobby I haven’t got any test kits yet for checking my levels just a salinity checker and temp… I know it’s wrong but I haven’t got the chance to go back to my lfs and get them yet. That’s why I have no fish or corals I don’t want to get them til I’ve got this down. I did buy premixed salt water from the top rated/reviewed lfs and have bought a RO water system that is Built into my shop (where I have my tank) (I also use RO for my humidor) it’s a brand new system for when I need to replace water when levels drop due to evaporation… that’s where I am at so far everything was going great and yesterday I started to notice a few spots and todays
You'll want to add a DI stage to your RO unit to make fresh water for top off and/or mixing saltwater.

OP
OP
megan.911

megan.911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confirmed diatoms. Diatoms are a brown algae that typically appear in a reef tank that has just completed its cycle but they can also appear in an established reef tank. They can cover sand, rock, pumps, glass, you name it. Diatoms look ugly but in most cases they are harmless so the key is to not panic when they appear.
Diatoms feed mainly off of silicates but also consume dissolved organic compounds, phosphate and nitrates. Unfiltered tap water can contain silicates and is a good way to jump start a bloom if you use it to mix salt or to replace water that evaporated from the tank. The best way to prevent this from happening is to filter water through a RODI unit, although you can still get a diatom bloom when using RODI if the cartridge that removes silicates expires.
diatoms are typically harmless to a captive reef and can be beaten once their food source expires. Once you put the kibosh on the source, the outbreak should last a couple of weeks so just be patient and it will pass. For major outbreaks you may want to consider the three day blackout. Diatoms are easily wiped from the glass with a mag float, a turkey baster or a toothbrush can access other areas of the tank. Be prepared for them to re-establish themselves quickly, they are likely to be able to resettle and have exponential growth rates.
To prevent their return, practice good aquarium husbandry by doing regular water changes, keep the substrate clean, don’t overfeed the fish, ensure your skimmer is running at an optimal level and rinse out filter socks and sponges on a regular basis.
Some cleaner crew to help control it are : Cerith snails, Nerite snails and Trochus snails and also Astraea snails are effective at removing diatoms.
I am using all the right water based off what you said it’s from my lfs well not local it’s top rated so I drive all the way there to get their saltwater to ensure I am getting quality water, I do know I over fed them two days ago and this is when I noticed the issue… I screenshot your reply that way I can get some of those snails! Is it okay for my shrimp and crab to turn off Al lights for a few days… Is that what blackout means?

OP
OP
megan.911

megan.911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll want to add a DI stage to your RO unit to make fresh water for top off and/or mixing saltwater.
I am also now worried to feed them today
It seems to be reaching its way around my tank it’s really nothing to worry about? It’s a two week old tank my first sign of any type of algae growing read somewhere that it will be taken over by green algae? I will get one of the snails you recommended immediately as well as testing kit. Do I need to turn the light off at night? I’m always keeping either the light or blue light on but my green star isn’t liking the diatoms that are slowing growing on top…

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 26

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

It seems to be reaching its way around my tank it’s really nothing to worry about? It’s a two week old tank my first sign of any type of algae growing read somewhere that it will be taken over by green algae? I will get one of the snails you recommended immediately as well as testing kit. Do I need to turn the light off at night? I’m always keeping either the light or blue light on but my green star isn’t liking the diatoms that are slowing growing on top…
My goodness - yes on light, Run it up to 12 hrs per day. Fish need sleep and most do and many coral feed in the dark. Picture the ocean and sunrise and sunset in which it becomes dark. My lights at different intensities go on at 9a and off at 10:30p
Diatoms are supported by:
Siilicates
organics
Light

Feed fish as needed but small amount (they can consume in 2-3 minutes). Easier to add food than remove it

OP
OP
megan.911

megan.911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goodness - yes on light, Run it up to 12 hrs per day. Fish need sleep and most do and many coral feed in the dark. Picture the ocean and sunrise and sunset in which it becomes dark. My lights at different intensities go on at 9a and off at 10:30p
Diatoms are supported by:
Siilicates
organics
Light
Hahah I know I’m very new and this forum and Google are my only guidance so again always appreciate the help… After the 12hrs turn off all lights got it. As for feeding, should I withhold for a day? I believe it’s from the left over food. I obviously over fed them my Pom Pom came out of hiding and I got a little excited… Lesson learned. So I don’t have to make a new post and take up space… I read up on my heater and it says the suction cups are TOXIC!!! I have a Via Aqua Quartz Heater 50wat is there a heater you recommend brand wise for a 13 gallon? I want to switch this out immediately if it’s true, also don’t even wanna take the risk and need a recommendation!

OP
OP
megan.911

megan.911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahah I know I’m very new and this forum and Google are my only guidance so again always appreciate the help… After the 12hrs turn off all lights got it. As for feeding, should I withhold for a day? I believe it’s from the left over food. I obviously over fed them my Pom Pom came out of hiding and I got a little excited… Lesson learned. So I don’t have to make a new post and take up space… I read up on my heater and it says the suction cups are TOXIC!!! I have a Via Aqua Quartz Heater 50wat is there a heater you recommend brand wise for a 13 gallon? I want to switch this out immediately if it’s true, also don’t even wanna take the risk and need a recommendation!
Side note, I have no fish yet or coral and won’t be getting any until I have the knowledge I feel like I need. I am just working on keeping my three sexy shrimp and Pom Pom crab alive and happy.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yes you can cancel feeding for a day and allow the crabs and cleaners to clear it up for dinner.
Easiest light control is use of a household timer. Timer will keep a schedule for you and also if you go away maintain the same light schedule (on and off).
For heater, go with a titanium unit at 150wt. Good brand is Finnex or viaAqua

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Side note, I have no fish yet or coral and won’t be getting any until I have the knowledge I feel like I need. I am just working on keeping my three sexy shrimp and Pom Pom crab alive and happy.
Good start. You literally need Pinky nail or slightly smaller size portion of food to feed them. This below will also keep them nourished without any mess

1646967416960.png

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is why you don't add coral too soon...

OP
OP
megan.911

megan.911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why you don't add coral too soon...
Had zero idea green star polyps are a coral… It was on the rock that was given to me by the person leaving the hobby and he DID NOT inform me they were coral… He said and I quote “it’s like grass” oh jeez…. This is why I am on this forum.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back