Help identifying this gold spots…

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very normal for a new tank. Sounds like the previous post pretty much covered the diotom issue. You definitely want to put your lights on some kind of timer.
You may want to spend some time watching the YouTube series from BRS called "5-minute guide - How to set up a saltwater aquarium". It is a simple beginner tutorial that will explain the basics.

Salinity and temperature are your most important parameters to keep in check right now based on what corals and inverts you have in the tank.
Odds are that your tank is not fully cycled yet. Before you add any additional livestock you want to test ammonia (0), nitrite (0), and nitrate (detectable-20). Salifert test are quality and cheap. You don't need to spend a ton of money on these.

Once your tank is established you will need to watch Calcium, Alkalinity, Phosphate, and Magnesium as well.

I didn't see where you planned on making your own saltwater for water changes. Since you LFS is so far away, you may want to consider this soon, even if it is only for your own convenience. The easier something is to do the more likely you are to do it right?

Ask lots of questions here. People will help you every step of the way.

You've got this.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 31.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 55 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back