OP
herpinsaquarium

herpinsaquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is - I can't tell how big or small the fish is - IF it's quite small - it could be changing color (see how the front black is fading)? To me it also looks like Burgess' butterflyfish
It’s quite small, but it has the colours of the Tinkeri all over the body, the problem is the black line that the tinkeri usually doesn’t have

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s quite small, but it has the colours of the Tinkeri all over the body, the problem is the black line that the tinkeri usually doesn’t have
If you look at the picture of the burgess butterfly - it looks like one of those. But - as I said. it could also be that the anterior blackness (to me) is fading. How big is the fish?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's back up a second. How much was the fish? 1200? 1300? more/less

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Basabe's and Banded butterflies have much more vertical striping. Not really like this picture IMHO. I think it's either an immature Tinkeri Or a Burgessi or a hybrid. If I were you I would ask the person from whom you bought the fish - why did you call it a Tinkeri (I think this is less likely to be a tinkeri. BTW) - instead of another fish. It's a little unclear - are you wanting to say you didn't get what y ou paid for, etc - I would leave it to the vendor to prove you've gotten what you paid for.

OP
OP
herpinsaquarium

herpinsaquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's back up a second. How much was the fish? 1200? 1300? more/
I own a small business in Finland and bought this from a very reputable wholesaler. I bought it as a Tinkeri, and they reassured me that they also bought it as Tinkeri and that it is just a juvenile. I have a client interested in it, but I don’t want to sell it to him something as something that it’s not.

OP
OP
herpinsaquarium

herpinsaquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a small business in Finland and bought this from a very reputable wholesaler. I bought it as a Tinkeri, and they reassured me that they also bought it as Tinkeri and that it is just a juvenile. I have a client interested in it, but I don’t want to sell it to him something as something that it’s not.
So what would you think? Hybrid?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So what would you think? Hybrid?
I am not sure you can tell at this stage 'for sure'. In fact the more I look - the more 'yellow' I see as compared to the Tinkeri 'orange' highlights. I don't presume to tell you how to run your business. If it were me I would say it's analogous to selling an artwork 'After Rembrandt' or 'in the school of Rembrandt' - we can't guarantee it. It will likely become a very beautiful fish - As to whether it's a tinkeri - My guess is 'no' - or a hybrid. However - that said - there are very few pictures of small juveniles available to compare. If you wanted to hold it to see how the front black area fades (or not) - all good. IMHO - The lack of pure orange coloration is a warning sign. Hope this helps rather than confuses

OP
OP
herpinsaquarium

herpinsaquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure you can tell at this stage 'for sure'. In fact the more I look - the more 'yellow' I see as compared to the Tinkeri 'orange' highlights. I don't presume to tell you how to run your business. If it were me I would say it's analogous to selling an artwork 'After Rembrandt' or 'in the school of Rembrandt' - we can't guarantee it. It will likely become a very beautiful fish - As to whether it's a tinkeri - My guess is 'no' - or a hybrid. However - that said - there are very few pictures of small juveniles available to compare. If you wanted to hold it to see how the front black area fades (or not) - all good. IMHO - The lack of pure orange coloration is a warning sign. Hope this helps rather than confuses
Thanks for your help. I by no means believe that I’m an expert especially when it comes to identifying fish, as I focusse more on corals. This order was a one off. I ended up selling it as a Burgessi X Tinkeri Hybrid for much less. If it ends up being a Tinkeri good for the buyer, but at least he is paying for what I can identify it as right now.
Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Back