Help interpreting cycling test results? :)

PinkDolphins

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 1, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
13
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 33G tank has been cycling for 25 days now using the Red Sea reef mature starter kit but with dry rock and sand (it’s impossible to get live rock where I live)

I would love if someone could tell me if it’s still ok!

Nitrite is getting lower really slowly but that is probably expected? I’m using the JBL pro aqua test kit to test parameters but a lot of the time I struggle to match the colours exactly.

I was following the guide that came with the starter kit but didn’t do any water changes or add CUC/fish. Since it finished I’ve just been dosing the NOPOX daily (3ml/100L) but I’m not sure is this right there’s so much conflicting info.

My results are below:

All stable:
Salinity 1.025
PH 8.2

Edit: Sorry had to put results into an image instead


​



IMG_3792.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I would call this a cycled tank... ammonia at close to zero, in fact somehow rising in week 24 which would be a test error unless you added ammonia. Nitrates at 30, to me the tank is cycled, I would do a 50% water change and add the first fish. Nitrites doesn't matter in saltwater. IMO
 
Why are you using NOPOX? I’d stop.

Nitrates are almost certainly not high. The kit values are likely vastly inflated by nitrite interfering with nitrate testing, and a little nitrite can read as a lot of nitrate.

Once ammonia dropped, the tank is ready to move on. Nitrite is unimportant to drive down as it is not toxic in seawater.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new