Help!! Is my new Xenia dying?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I purchased a brand new pulsing Xenia, and last night I noticed that it started shriveling and turning grey. Here’s what it looks like.
1598713401467.gif

I just cleaned my tank and the ammonia/nitrites/nitrates shouldn’t be that bad. What’s going on?

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the measurements?
Xenia are also known to do this after tank maintenance.
I’ll check. I know that Xenia’s are hardier than most corals. How do you think this will turn out? Will the coral be okay? Being my first tank, I honestly have no clue which fluctuations do/don’t effect the animals in the tank.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly no joke I didn’t know Xenia could die
I always thought gsp and Xenia where I immortal
Maybe it’s just in shock from the transfer? My only two corals so far are leather and Xenia (the two easiest) and the leather is doing fantastic. So was the Xenia until this point. What changed?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I trim mine almost every week with a pair of bonecutters to keep it from overgrowing other corals with no observable effects on its health. Yes, they are usually (all respect to najer!) very hardy and I don't see anything with yours that would cause me concern.

The silver blue morph does sometimes turn grayish for a while when disturbed ime.

Good luck; it is a nice specimen

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see anything wrong with it, if it is pulsing it is fine, not as easy as some think, I just managed to kill mine over the past month or so.
Yeah he is still pulsing, but looks a lot more dull and unhappy than it had. I suppose I’ll just see how it goes...

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck; it is a nice specimen
Thanks! I was surprised to get one so big! I was at Petco and it was among the $30 small Xenia frags, so I’m just like, “does that big one also count as a ‘small’?” And they just said yes, so I walked away with a nice bargain!! :cool:
Thanks for the advice!

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there buddy. I just read it’s your first tank. Same here. I’m about a year and a half into the hobby and only a member on here for 5 months. Just wanted to say to listen to what people here share with you. I’ve gotten such an education from the other members here.
With that said I’ve had my share of fails, don’t get discouraged.
also Xenia are near indestructable. I brought home a frag 6 months ago and thought I killed it it was tiny and limp. A week later it popped up.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there buddy. I just read it’s your first tank. Same here. I’m about a year and a half into the hobby and only a member on here for 5 months. Just wanted to say to listen to what people here share with you. I’ve gotten such an education from the other members here.
With that said I’ve had my share of fails, don’t get discouraged.
also Xenia are near indestructable. I brought home a frag 6 months ago and thought I killed it it was tiny and limp. A week later it popped up.
Thanks! Yeah, it definitely is scary especially when something goes wrong. I just introduced a sharknose goby and am afraid it has ich.... Well, I suppose that’s all a part of the “fun” in unpredictable fishkeeping!!

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yeah, it definitely is scary especially when something goes wrong. I just introduced a sharknose goby and am afraid it has ich.... Well, I suppose that’s all a part of the “fun” in unpredictable fishkeeping!!

did you quarentine? I made the mistake of not doing it in the past and both times were catastrophic

Back