Help. Is this fin rot or something else

jonnywink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Blue Tang acts and eats normally, but looks like this. Unsure why or what to do. He’s in a 55 gal. with a Gold Head Gobie, six line wrasse and a pajama cardinal. Also a number of snails, a sand sifting starfish, a pencil urchin, and a coral banded shrimp live in the tank. He was fully QT with all the fish about six months ago (kanaplex then Prazipro then copper power and finally a fresh water dip) after something ran through the tank that killed most of the other stock. Was in the QT together for the full DT fallow time before putting them back. No other fish show this appearance or any signs of problems or distress. Water parameters all within normal range except my nitrate stays higher (45) but potassium within range. I do a 6 gal water change every two weeks and have Marineland 360 filter which I service about every 90 days. Also have a HOB protein skimmer. Any ideas or suggestion will be appreciated.

IMG_6296.jpeg

OP
OP
jonnywink

jonnywink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Can you tell me how to move the post over or do I just have to repost it?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Blue Tang acts and eats normally, but looks like this. Unsure why or what to do. He’s in a 55 gal. with a Gold Head Gobie, six line wrasse and a pajama cardinal. Also a number of snails, a sand sifting starfish, a pencil urchin, and a coral banded shrimp live in the tank. He was fully QT with all the fish about six months ago (kanaplex then Prazipro then copper power and finally a fresh water dip) after something ran through the tank that killed most of the other stock. Was in the QT together for the full DT fallow time before putting them back. No other fish show this appearance or any signs of problems or distress. Water parameters all within normal range except my nitrate stays higher (45) but potassium within range. I do a 6 gal water change every two weeks and have Marineland 360 filter which I service about every 90 days. Also have a HOB protein skimmer. Any ideas or suggestion will be appreciated.

IMG_6296.jpeg
Fin damage like that can show as a symptom of head and lateral line erosion in tangs (HLLE). The pits around this fish’s face is HLLE, so unless another fish has been picking on the tang, the fin damage is related to that. HLLE is a complicated topic. Here is an article I posted on it here:

Jay

OP
OP
jonnywink

jonnywink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fin damage like that can show as a symptom of head and lateral line erosion in tangs (HLLE). The pits around this fish’s face is HLLE, so unless another fish has been picking on the tang, the fin damage is related to that. HLLE is a complicated topic. Here is an article I posted on it here:

Jay
Thank you Jay! The article was very informative, but a little over my head in places. However, I think I get the idea that the activated carbon I use in my filter may be the cause. I’ve been using Black Diamond Premium Activated Carbon by Marineland 360 filter, which I rise under cold tap water until no black residue comes out of the bag before putting in the filter’s media compartment. My question now is can I just pull the carbon out of the filter or do I need to move the tang out to a QT tank for a while and have no carbon in that filter? Also this condition has been present for several months and to think I may have noticed it after the copper power treatment during the QT period. I just attributed it to aging since nothing else but appearance seemed to be effected. Any and all suggestions of how to handle this is appreciated. Again, thank you Jay.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jay! The article was very informative, but a little over my head in places. However, I think I get the idea that the activated carbon I use in my filter may be the cause. I’ve been using Black Diamond Premium Activated Carbon by Marineland 360 filter, which I rise under cold tap water until no black residue comes out of the bag before putting in the filter’s media compartment. My question now is can I just pull the carbon out of the filter or do I need to move the tang out to a QT tank for a while and have no carbon in that filter? Also this condition has been present for several months and to think I may have noticed it after the copper power treatment during the QT period. I just attributed it to aging since nothing else but appearance seemed to be effected. Any and all suggestions of how to handle this is appreciated. Again, thank you Jay.
In many cases, even if you remove all carbon, the symptoms may only partially reverse, sometimes not at all.

I would suggest using well rinsed pelleted carbon like ROX if you want to use carbon. I can’t remember if black diamond is lignite carbon (bad) or not.

Jay

OP
OP
jonnywink

jonnywink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In many cases, even if you remove all carbon, the symptoms may only partially reverse, sometimes not at all.

I would suggest using well rinsed pelleted carbon like ROX if you want to use carbon. I can’t remember if black diamond is lignite carbon (bad) or not.

Jay
Thank you for your help again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%

Back