Help keeping Hippo Tang Alive

SaltlifeHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this baby hippo a week ago and I don’t think I’ve seen him eat yet. He also appears to maybe have a swim bladder issue. He’s constantly laid underneath the PVC or sponge filter and if I move him he’s usually swimming straight down or upright. I noticed today he has a burn mark or HLLE area on his head/gill. So far he’s been in Copper and 1 round of GC and also a H2o2 bath. Any help would be appreciated but I don’t think he’s going to make it he’s super skinny

IMG_6876.jpeg IMG_6882.jpeg IMG_6881.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6884.mov
    20.4 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not unusual
Got this baby hippo a week ago and I don’t think I’ve seen him eat yet. He also appears to maybe have a swim bladder issue. He’s constantly laid underneath the PVC or sponge filter and if I move him he’s usually swimming straight down or upright. I noticed today he has a burn mark or HLLE area on his head/gill. So far he’s been in Copper and 1 round of GC and also a H2o2 bath. Any help would be appreciated but I don’t think he’s going to make it he’s super skinny

Not unusual for hippo which is a very shy fish. Head down can be behavioral or taking in air from fish bag which it will release
Hiding under tube and even playing dead is normal behavior
As for not eating- what foods are you feeding it?
At feeding, stand way back and observe as it may be shy in your presence

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry to see, I agree that it isn't likely to make it. It does seem to be struggling to stay down and that is going to keep it from eating. In turn, it is so thin that it needs food right away.

Its dorsal fin seems frayed at the back, was it like that when you bought it?
Likewise, was it swimming like this and not eating at the store? If so, you might want to contact them to say that you inherited a problem with this fish.

I wish I had a solution for you, but I can't think of anything.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back