Help! Lightning strikes my house - Apex Classic fried

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In short: storm yesterday, all modules blinking orange apex classic which shows no light and is unreachable.
1) Is there a way to verify if the two DoS modules (used for auto water changes) are ok? They dont seem to be responding. I do have power but unplugged them from any modules
2) If I have to replace all of this, should I go GHL or Apex?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with most peripherals they are not stand alone units.
They need a controller to function.
I do not know if anyway to test them other than get another apex controller and hook them up

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a bummer about the lighting strike.

Very important to get your equipment checked out. You don’t want some impacted piece of equipment causing a fire or malfunctioning on your aquarium. Especially if you have significant investments in fish and corals. Would take equipment to someone very knowledgeable about electronics.

OP
OP
dangros

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know why some outlets on the EB8 are working while others arent? The apex is totally unplugged and they have nothing but lights and pumps connected.

Looks like I might be able to get away with the Apex EL and "save" a little money in replacement.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to power the DOS off of a dedicated power supply and then press buttons on the unit to see if both pumps are spinning. This will verify the majority of the unit except for the AquaBus link.

EB8 goes into fallback if not connected to the headunit. Depending on how your individual outlets are programmed, some of them may be on.

If your head unit was powered by the EB8 and is not responding, chances are that the EB8 is also damaged.

OP
OP
dangros

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to power the DOS off of a dedicated power supply and then press buttons on the unit to see if both pumps are spinning. This will verify the majority of the unit except for the AquaBus link.
When all things are unplugged from the DoS except the power, nothing happens.
Would someone mind trying theirs w/o anything but power to see if they can see lights and press any buttons????

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I repair these. With the power applied to the DOS, you should be able to operate it using the buttons for testing purposes. If nothing works, there is damage to your DOS as well.
See my repair video for what the standalone DOS can and can't do:

OP
OP
dangros

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I repair these. With the power applied to the DOS, you should be able to operate it using the buttons for testing purposes. If nothing works, there is damage to your DOS as well.
See my repair video for what the standalone DOS can and can't do:

Oh god! If I have to replace both DoS as well, that will hurt!!! Anyone want a really cool tank with mating clowns? Just kidding!
I'm probably going to order an ApexEL tomorrow and see if the DoS somehow respond.
Thanks for the vid! Very helpful!!!

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should correct myself here. There are circumstances where the DOS will not respond to the priming buttons without connecting to the head unit first. It has something to do with the state of the unit.
If you have a classic apex head unit laying around, you should be able to connect your DOS to it for testing as those dosing pumps came on the market prior to Apex 2016 and were officially supported in the classic configuration.

OP
OP
dangros

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should correct myself here. There are circumstances where the DOS will not respond to the priming buttons without connecting to the head unit first. It has something to do with the state of the unit.
If you have a classic apex head unit laying around, you should be able to connect your DOS to it for testing as those dosing pumps came on the market prior to Apex 2016 and were officially supported in the classic configuration.
my classic is the one that fried. Purchased an EL which is on the way. My DoS are older ones so they MAY come to life once the new Apex hooks into them. If not, I may reconsider my setup.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back