My Apex tried to crash my tank

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran into the strangest problem yesterday. We had the big storm blow through and knock out our power for 24 hours. No big deal, I have the wood stove going near the tank keeping it 75 degrees and a battery backup for up to 72 hours on my power heads.

The problem started when the power came back on. When everything restarted my apex decided all my old modules had been disconnected and I had all new modules. These new modules it decided were all plugged into different things. By sheer luck I managed to save the tank when I got home from work that day. Here is what it set everything to:

Return pumps: it decided these were actually the lights and set them to on 12 hours and off 12 hours. (Thankfully they were in the off period)

Heaters: these were return pumps and were set to always on. (Thankfully the return pumps were off so only the sump chamber with the heaters got roasted)

Auto Feeder: this was a skimmer and was set to only go off when feed mode is on. (Thankfully I removed this from the tank during the power outage). It fed an entire weeks worth of food onto the floor where I had it.

It just straight up deleted all my alarms, optical sensors, and safety measures.

UV lamp was thankfully set to off because it also set the UV pump to off.

God himself must have not wanted my tank to crash despite the Apex best efforts because 8 things all happened to magically coincide to save the tank.

After a good bit of troubleshooting it appears if you have a 24v power supply attached to an FFM module and it powers up before the main energy bar power it changes the order the modules are recognized and labels them as new modules. You need to delete the new modules and power it back up in the correct sequence to get it to recognize the original modules.

Hopefully my experience helps prevents someone else’s tank from dying.

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m convinced they have never actually tested these under scenarios that they are suppose to save us.

So far, every time I go out of town, it’s my apex causing the problem and stress.

OP
OP
MarsReefer

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta love a reliable controller to save the day :thinking-face: Thankfully you weren't out of town when it happen. I hear many people say they love them for when they are out of town.
Yeah it’s been reasonably reliable for me as long as it doesn’t lose power. It seems something breaks every time it loses power. This time was by far the worst though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back