help.... lost in the world of digi compacts

berns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i know nowt about cameras and recently trolling the reviews of many compact digitals im as lost as ever, im wanting a unit that can give great close up/macro shots from a digital compact.

i think some eye candy samples from others would help with my choise.
so digital compact camera users only, and state the name of the digital compact camera used please.

cheers berns

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure more experienced people will chime in, but this website was very helpful when I selected my camera.

http://www.dpreview.com/

I had to select a Sony because I have a sony credit card and had enough points to get it for free :D . My only piece of advice is to stay away from Sony cameras because they have a special memory card that is more expensive and "supposedly" the no name versions of the cards don't work as well. Just my 2cents

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same boat as you! I have been using and loving an Olympus C750 UZ point and shoot 4MP for 3 years now. I have a choice of cameras under $400 for Christmas...it's tough to pick one!

OP
OP
B

berns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a nitemare to choose, the olympus C-5050 or C-5060 was my choise 2 days ago but now after looking more reviews etc now its a canon powershot A620

but it was something else before olympus and another before that lol

i stop looking at reviews now and would rather see some sample closeup/macro shots from others using digital compacts

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the tough thing...My old Olympus was semi big body...so do I want to go with a more compact...or larger with more zoom!!!

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm just biting the bullet and getting a digital SLR. i've had it with trying to get every shot you want out of a *point and shoot* type of camera.

my girlfriend has *point and shoot*, so if i ever need a camera like that i'll borrow hers.

OP
OP
B

berns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the canon powershot A620 (newer sensor over the A610) gets top reviews, tho a digital compact it has a very close 1cm focus distance ability (more then all compacts in its range) aswell as a lense attachment facility which for a compact can only be an advantage for more close up hocus pocus, the review sample macro mode is one of the closest macro shot tests ive seen in this range as in the link.....

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona620/page6.asp

but then the olympus c-5050 / 5060 are meant tobe the nuts aswell lol

Last edited:

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm just biting the bullet and getting a digital SLR. i've had it with trying to get every shot you want out of a *point and shoot* type of camera.

my girlfriend has *point and shoot*, so if i ever need a camera like that i'll borrow hers.

Surfn, which SLR are you thinking about getting? I've been shopping around for a SLR for for a few months now. I think Im going to go with the nikon d70s body and then get a few good lenses.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 45 33.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back