Help Me Choose an Aquarium

Earl A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about 10-15 years ago, I had a 75 gal reef tank that I kept for about a year. I was not very successful at it and after a year, decided to break it down and sell out. I was younger, didn't have the money, and grew tire of failures. Plus, I had two kids that were starting to play sports so really didn't have the time for everything.

I can't believe how far things have come since then. I have the itch to get back into the hobby. I don't have room for a large aquarium
and decided to try a nano and would like to try the Triton method. I am currently torn between two tanks.

1) The Aquamaxx 33 gallon cube - this would need to be drilled and an overflow added.

2) The IM 25 gallon lagoon - comes with overflow and bulkheads.

These are about the same price after adding an overflow to the Aquamaxx.

I am looking to keeping mainly zoas, acan, favia, acros (eventually) and maybe a leather. I like color.

I also like the Kessil lights and will go with one 360x to start and possibly add a second later as I get into SPS.

Would the shallower lagoon be a disadvantage trying to keep high light and low light corals in the same tank?

Any thoughts and input are greatly appreciated.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the lagoon !!
You shouldnt have a problem with keeping low and high light corals.

cojo8888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have someone can handle drilling and plumbing properly with all other set ups like sump and etc ( if you have extra budget) go with aquamaxx but you need to aware it will be x3 minimum on the price be because you need to buy everything from scratch.. but you will have extra space and filteration for success

Lagoon 25 is easy to take care. Somewhat limited on spa e and filteration sucks but as long as you keep 2 or 3 nano fish then it's ok

Both have pros and cons if you want to setup Reef fast and easy go with lagoon.

If you have time to check al plumbing and setup properly then go with first option .

cojo8888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh didn't see your going to buy 25 ext lol

It's your choice but I get bored fast by lagoon style aquarium (my own expierence)

cojo8888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First couple weeks it I was really happy with freedom of rock layout through the depth (coming from 12" depth tank to 20" made huge difference)

But then I always had to use low height chair or get down to see full view and I missed the top space that were free for fish to swim. It's cool but I like to see tank as movie screen. Not cramped view like lagoon

If you just doing corals lagoon is great tank to save money on light 18~24 height you need more penetrations throughout the tank so definitely more money to spend.

So first tank was ada 60p glass tank. It was (24x12x14) great dimension

And second was custom aa acylic tank (24x20x12) with ext overclow

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For what your going to spend on those set ups just grab a RS Reefer 170... i have the Reefer nano and the quality/customer service is great. Totally worth it to have a compete kit. Just buy a heater, pump, and a skimmer if you want.

OP
OP
E

Earl A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what your going to spend on those set ups just grab a RS Reefer 170... i have the Reefer nano and the quality/customer service is great. Totally worth it to have a compete kit. Just buy a heater, pump, and a skimmer if you want.

I did look into that and considered that. But I want to run try the Triton method which calls for a different sump setup. I was planning on building the stand myself (I am a hobbyist woodworker) and using a 10gal aquarium as my sump. I think this would be cheaper.

OP
OP
E

Earl A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy with my fijicube external overflow. I had a cadlights lagoon 36X24X12 and loved the top down look.

I kinda like that FijiCube 32G EXT Plus. Same dims as the IM Lagoon 25 with a little extra depth.

Thanks.

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are welcome. FijiCube makes a sump baffle kit for your 10G. Silicone them in wherever you like for your fuge dimension. 32 gallons with a 400 gph overflow gets you @ 320gph for return if you're following the Triton rules. I'm setting up a 22.4 and it's a nice tank.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did look into that and considered that. But I want to run try the Triton method which calls for a different sump setup. I was planning on building the stand myself (I am a hobbyist woodworker) and using a 10gal aquarium as my sump. I think this would be cheaper.
First! Welcome to the Club;) I got back in after 15Y for some of the same reasons. I though a nano (40) was going to be enough but it wasn't!! When you select equipment thing long term and will it work if you upgrade. I now have a 75 and am looking to go even larger. You mentioned Acros at some point so that tells me you are up for a challenge, and a small tank may not slack that for very long:p When you consider all the costs to set up a smaller tank your not far from going to a mid-sized. Now Triton is not all its cracked up to be (its a fading TREND) I know! My sump is a mess and a Phosphate factory, besides it requires a large compartment in the sump which a small cube may not afford. I am currently Looking at Water-Box , Red Sea and SCA if I go with a custom stand.
Best of luck

eskymick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased the IM NUVO EXT 25 Lagoon. I love it. Very well made, and room below for a sump. I got a FijiCube 15 sump for it.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 114 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back