Help me critique my recovery / reboot plan...

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long, sad story already posted elsewhere made really short, taking a shortcut after a couple years of luck, combined with a mechanical failure that stressed out my tank, led to a total fish die off in 24 hours, except for a lone Diamond Goby, who is still cruising the tank, wondering where everyone went, eating constantly sifting the sand, eating like a pig...

where is everyone.jpg

My apologies for the dirty glass, I had been removing the few corals I had left to a hospital tank.

As you may notice, I have an algae problem (due to overfeeding 8 fish in a 210 gallon aquarium) and have been battling it for six months or so...

No, I REALLY have an algae problem...
Algae everywhere left.jpg

algae everywhere right.jpg

So I am going to break everything down, move the corals (I only have a few frags left) into a coral hospital tank, along with the snails I still have, and the single fish into a QT tank to be treated, and be bored for the next 76 days...

Continued on next post due to quantity of pictures...

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have set up the two 10 gallon tanks on a table (unfortunately next to each other for the time being due to space).

entire QT Table.jpg

The Coral frags were all manually picked clean of algae, and placed in a 10 gallon tank with a small powerhead and filter with carbon in it...

coral QT.jpg

The fish QT tank is set up with a PVC, a bowl of sand (it sifts sand all day) and now I just need to catch it, which is going to be a struggle...

fish QT.jpg

I promise, the plan and questions are coming in the next (and last) post...

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My questions are... I want to remain "fallow" for at least 76 days (probably a little longer) because it was most likely velvet, or possibly ich, that took the tank down. I also want to clean the rocks, and detail everything...

Do you think filling a brute trash can with saltwater and a circulation pump), scrubbing as many rocks as I can and then throwing them in there to sit (and hopefully continue to cure/kill of algae in the dark can) is a good idea? I probably cannot get all of my rock in a single can, and will probably dry out the rest...

I figure at about day 60 or so, I will begin to re-build the tank rockwork, putting the "cured" rock in with the now "dead" rock, and then letting it cycle ( if it happens) for the last 2-3 weeks, only moving the fish back after the whatever cycle occurs is done...

Let me know what you think, anything I am forgetting, and any other ideas you may have...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.4%
Back