Help me choose the right wrasse for my aquarium

xdcbenoitxd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I had a huge algae bloom that claimed all my fish a few months back. I am in the process of rescaping/recycling/adding copepods/increasing biome ect ect. I am now facing the choice of livestock for my tank. I do have some hitch hikers in my tank that were completely kept in check with my picture wrasse. I absolutely need a wrasse to keep their population under control but not all wrasses are created as equal hunters and some are much more aggressive then others. This tank will be a mixed reef tank but dominating on the SPS side, 80 gallons, I am really hoping to be able to put a clam in there but most wrasses nip at the mantle and I have the following hitch hikers for it to deal with:

-bristle worms
-copepods
-amphipods
-collostina
-asterina
-spirorbid worms
-ostecods
-glass anemone

-limpets
I have no problem with most of these. The bristle worms, I don't love and the limpets boom in population from time to time and cover the glass. Miss BEAKY (my picture wrasse) did an amazing job at keeping these in check but was also very bossy towards my other fish. Is there a wrasse (or several that can cohabitate) that are effective hunters with a milder temperament? Anyone know of a wrasse that would leave a clam alone?

Thanks

stinkydavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Coris wrasse are great for most pest but will not take care of all of these.
Edit:spelling

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.3%
Back