Dusky wrasse

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all wondering about dusky wrasses. Still looking for a wrasse for my bigger tank. I did get a dragon wrasse but she ended up DOA. They dont have any more dragon wrasses. So I was looking at a dusky wrasse and a lyertail wrasse (lunare?)

Thalassoma lunare​

For my tanks. I was looking for the lunare to go in my more aggressive tank but also saw a dusky male. Beautiful! Wondering if they would go together well in my large tank, or if the dusky would be okay in my 70 (I have smaller fish so not sure if they would end up a meal?) @Slocke @i cant think any ideas?? Wrasses are so cool and I keep looking at them all and just cant decide on which. Also looked at a red coris or another thalassoma wrasse. They are all beautiful but complicated! Just want to make sure I pick an appropriate one for my tanks. I hate bristleworms and would like one that eats those if possible but their colors are just so mesmerizing!

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the meantime, have you tried the panty hose trapping technique? I understand that a piece of table shrimp tied inside of a stocking gets the bristleworms stuck and they can't get off, and you just lift it out in the AM and toss them or euthanize as you see fit.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the meantime, have you tried the panty hose trapping technique? I understand that a piece of table shrimp tied inside of a stocking gets the bristleworms stuck and they can't get off, and you just lift it out in the AM and toss them or euthanize as you see fit.
That would be a great idea if I didnt have triggers and eels that would rip into it lol! I also was looking for a colorful fish for the last edition so I thought two birds one stone! I dont have a lot of the worms but they creep me out when I see them!

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be a great idea if I didnt have triggers and eels that would rip into it lol! I also was looking for a colorful fish for the last edition so I thought two birds one stone! I dont have a lot of the worms but they creep me out when I see them!
Hmm, you could put it into a type of mushroom cage with bigger holes maybe? The bristleworms can get in but the triggers and eels won't--or maybe that'll just drive them nuts! Or maybe use the stocking inside of a bottle? Will the triggers break open a bottle?

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, you could put it into a type of mushroom cage with bigger holes maybe? The bristleworms can get in but the triggers and eels won't--or maybe that'll just drive them nuts! Or maybe use the stocking inside of a bottle? Will the triggers break open a bottle?
If there is a shrimp they will 100% try to break into anything to get that shrimp. They go bananas for it, especially my little baby niger trigger who is super food aggressive even as the smallest fish in the tank! I could see him getting into it. Dude broke my acclimation box in a few hours when he was in it when first adding him!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dusky wrasses is an awesome fish. I have had them continuously in my reef tanks for many years. First one, in a 265 then 450, grew to about 7". They seem to have a lifespan of about 8 years. At that point mine stated to lose weight and eventually died. I purchased a second one, initially in the 450, now in a 6 foot 120, and he's reached about 5" in 3 years. I always buy a juvenile, because then I have a sense of how old it is, and let it develop its colors. Spectacular fish, if a bit understated. An excellent way to control bristle worms, pyramid snails, etc. will happily eat your CUC also. Thumbs up!!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dusky wrasses is an awesome fish. I have had them continuously in my reef tanks for many years. First one, in a 265 then 450, grew to about 7". They seem to have a lifespan of about 8 years. At that point mine stated to lose weight and eventually died. I purchased a second one, initially in the 450, now in a 6 foot 120, and he's reached about 5" in 3 years. I always buy a juvenile, because then I have a sense of how old it is, and let it develop its colors. Spectacular fish, if a bit understated. An excellent way to control bristle worms, pyramid snails, etc. will happily eat your CUC also. Thumbs up!!
Oh cool! Would it eat my smaller fish if I put it in my 70 gallon until it got big enough that I wouldnt worry about one of the eels eating it in my big tank?? Ive got gobies, dottyback, and some other nano fish I dont want eaten! I just would want to wait until it was 4 or so inches before moving it

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is about 3-4 inches right now and doesn’t bother any of the other fish in the tank. I have a royal gramma and an orchid dottyback. I also have a six line wrasse and they get along splendidly. Very elegant fish that swims out in the open frequently.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is about 3-4 inches right now and doesn’t bother any of the other fish in the tank. I have a royal gramma and an orchid dottyback. I also have a six line wrasse and they get along splendidly. Very elegant fish that swims out in the open frequently.
Oh cool! Thank you. I want to watch her change colors into the male coloring!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dusky is one of my favorites. And sorry I’ve been swamped by work
IMG_4604.jpeg

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! At a full male it will get the yellow pectoral fins which means it is fully male and will no longer change colors
Do you have any info about the lunar?? Im torn between that, the blue face and the cortez. The lunar is stunning though

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any info about the lunar?? Im torn between that, the blue face and the cortez. The lunar is stunning though
I also have one of those. They are easy but can be aggressive. Mines not as bad as my dragon but does like to zoom around the tank.
IMG_4585.jpeg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are lunares in reef tanks? Any concerns other than aggression?
Definitely. This is a predator tank fish. Or at least a big fish only tank.i wouldn’t have them with anything less then half its size if not its actual size.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back