Help me decide (1 Radion Pro vs 2 Kessil 360Ws)

Martyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Radions replaced an Evergrown IT2080. On that fixture and to the best of my knowledge, on most of the Chinese LED fixtures, you control the blue channel and the white channel (which also includes the reds and greens), that's it. All you "control" is the intensity in half hour increments. The Lumentek Pro series is a bit better; dividing the LED's into three channels (blue, violet and the white/colored LED's) with control in 10 minute increments.

Are these fixtures truly controllable? I think not. Can they be upgraded? No. Can you buy replacement parts? Not to the best of my knowledge. Comparing Radions (or for that matter, Kessils), to a Chinese LED fixture, is like comparing apples to bricks. That's just my two cents ...

Last edited:

1.0reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or....
2 Nanoboxs, handmade, custom color, nice spectrum, luxeon leds, and good controllability.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If ppl just post the pro and cons about their own LED lights this thread would be much more helpful, not because you just don't feel like paying to much for LED unit.
Or you hate a particular brand.
If one LED is proven to grow and pop corals more than any other LED it will make it's case.
Their are a few out there that are proven over the few years and yes they making still better improvements on them.
I for one had AI on my old 120............they just didn't do it for me, as now I have the PRO's and must say that I have as much grow and even better color than MH lights.
That for me says enough.

OP
OP
RocketCityReef

RocketCityReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the continued discussion, guys. I still haven't made my decision, but saw the Radion G3 Pro in person recently. Great looking light! I don't really care about price...I just want to make sure to get the best LED fixture for my tank.

ReefKeeper09

Clownfish Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like both. Though I think overall the Radion is a better option. I have seen both in person. I LOVE the way the Kessil looks! The shimmer & the shadowing is beautiful! But, The shimmer the Radion produces is quite nice as well.

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Radions have a lense over the L.E.D.s which spread the light out. Plus you can buy wide angle lense's from echotech if you want to spread your light out more. If you want more spread, raise your light and increase the intensity to make up for the height difference.

OP
OP
RocketCityReef

RocketCityReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like the idea of having the option to change the pucks on the Radions...LED technology is constantly changing, so that may allow some additional longevity. Wish I could see both options side by side!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like the idea of having the option to change the pucks on the Radions...LED technology is constantly changing, so that may allow some additional longevity. Wish I could see both options side by side!

Retrofit kits are available for you Radions.

Talisman013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving an old thread, but hopefully it helps someone new.

I have both brands: Kessil 360we and Radion G3 Pros

If you want features go for the Radions, if you want coral growth and a better looking tank go for the Kessils.

Pros and Cons
Radion Pros:
1. Individual color control including UV
2. TONS of power(not sure if this is a benefit or not, I cant go over 40% on my tank without bleaching coral)
3. Moonlight included via 1% dimmability
4. Weather effects including lightning
5. Wireless control

Cons:
1. Micro/rainbow shimmer is very annoying to me
2. Very difficult to get the correct color

Kessil Pros:
1. Shimmer
2. Shimmer
3. Did i mention shimmer? They are the closest thing I have seen to Metal Halides
4. Ease of use via APEX or Kessil Controller
5. Coral growth is thru the roof

Cons:
1. No Moonlight (only dimmable to around 14%, way too bright for moonlight)
2. No individual color control(for some this is a huge plus, nothing to screw up)
3. Not Wireless, must connect cable for control.
4. Only available Pendant Style(for now, panel in the works)

I am selling my Radion G3 Pros and getting more Kessils, I have the 2 tanks setup next to each other, everyone that sees them likes the Kessil tank better, coral growth is much better in the kessil tank. I am sure that with a lot more tweaking I could get the colors correct and get the the radions growing coral like the kessils, but at this point, I dont feel like it. I gave the radions 2 months of my time tweaking and testing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back