Help me decide

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready to buy my very first ATO. I was thinking about the osmolator, but I use kalk in the reservoir. I've read so-so reviews about it. With that said, what's the most reliable ATO for reservoir mixed with kalk? Thanks.

FredsNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey buddy. I went through many reviews and videos and finally decided on the Tunze ATO 3155. It has 3 stop loss measures. Many people also have it for a couple years or more. The other ATOs seem to crap out over a year.
Tunze makes a nano version but they say the full size one is better.
Mine is on the way, so I can't wait!

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to take a look at the Spectrapure ato. It's highly customizable and claims to have a kalk-safe pump. I have the older Spectrapure ato, the UPLC-II. The newer one is the same but with better magnetic mounts.

The Tunze's are good for safe ato operations, but the pumps crap out quick. They're cheap to replace, but I prefer the former.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Empress

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about clog issues as well. Kalk can get pretty pasty and plug the tiny hole where the water comes out. And if the pump sits on the bottom of the reservoir (which it will) that might cause problems too.

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about clog issues as well. Kalk can get pretty pasty and plug the tiny hole where the water comes out. And if the pump sits on the bottom of the reservoir (which it will) that might cause problems too.
I used to run Kalk in my ATO then switched to a stirrer, so much better and no way for it to clog. If you do use a ATO pump in a kalk reservior build a small space to house the pump that is 2-3" deep to keep the settling kalk out of the pump.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey buddy. I went through many reviews and videos and finally decided on the Tunze ATO 3155. It has 3 stop loss measures. Many people also have it for a couple years or more. The other ATOs seem to crap out over a year.
Tunze makes a nano version but they say the full size one is better.
Mine is on the way, so I can't wait!
+1 for the Tunze. I've never experienced a problem with it.

XNavyDiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As to the possible problem with kalk sediment with the Tunze pump... I simply let the pump hang about 2 inched off the bottom of the ato reservoir.

OP
OP
Empress

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought stirring kalk was a no-no. Better to leave it crusty??? Somebody educate me! Bear with me....I'm still learning this stuff. Thanks again for your help.

XNavyDiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought stirring kalk was a no-no. Better to leave it crusty??? Somebody educate me! Bear with me....I'm still learning this stuff. Thanks again for your help.
I think what that refers to is not to stir the kalk precipitate so it gets sucked up into the ato pump. I've never used a kalk stirrer before, but I believe they gently stir the kalk solution in a way that the precipitate doesn't get introduced into the tank.

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Stirring is not good in your ato reservoir.

A reactor is a different animal. It has way more kalk than your tank uses and your ato adds water to it. The water flows thru a kalk slurry gets saturated then goes into your sump

Google kalkwasser reactor or stirrer

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A kalk sitrrer or reactor houses the kalk at the bottom say a cup, your ATO water gets pumped into that near the bottom section and exits through the very top. You would have it stir at intervals, I did 15 min every 3 hrs to keep the watter saturated. There is never contact between any pumps to saturated kalk water this way and no more mixing kalk in a ATO or transfering to a ATO once mixed etc. Just refill the kalk stirrer every 3-4 weeks and that's it. I ran a K1.

https://www.avastmarine.com/collections/you-built/products/kalk-stirrer-kit

OP
OP
Empress

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to take a look at the Spectrapure ato. It's highly customizable and claims to have a kalk-safe pump. I have the older Spectrapure ato, the UPLC-II. The newer one is the same but with better magnetic mounts.

The Tunze's are good for safe ato operations, but the pumps crap out quick. They're cheap to replace, but I prefer the former.

That new Spectrapure ATO is $270. A little spendy, but it is kalkwasser safe and has s 5 year warranty. If the pump runs dry it won't hurt it. The sensors are very different from the other ATO's I've been looking at.

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That new Spectrapure ATO is $270. A little spendy, but it is kalkwasser safe and has s 5 year warranty. If the pump runs dry it won't hurt it. The sensors are very different from the other ATO's I've been looking at.

Just be aware these types of ATO's will let your water level fluctuate approx 3-4X that of the Tunze or the like. It has to break syphon to work which takes a fair amount of water volume with these. My LFS runs this on there large Frag system 12'X4'x2' and they reccomend using it only on large systems.

OP
OP
Empress

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A kalk sitrrer or reactor houses the kalk at the bottom say a cup, your ATO water gets pumped into that near the bottom section and exits through the very top. You would have it stir at intervals, I did 15 min every 3 hrs to keep the watter saturated. There is never contact between any pumps to saturated kalk water this way and no more mixing kalk in a ATO or transfering to a ATO once mixed etc. Just refill the kalk stirrer every 3-4 weeks and that's it. I ran a K1.

https://www.avastmarine.com/collections/you-built/products/kalk-stirrer-kit

Thanks Finhead. I get now. I see the stirrer is a separate unit. I'll be doing some research for sure. You should see my hands! They're looking old and wrinkly from stirring kalk every other day. It's a PITA. Thanks for the link. [emoji227]

tony'stank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used a Tunze 3155 with Kalk in the top off water, the pumps would only last 6 months. Almost immediately they would became noisier. The Tunze pump uses a rubber diaphragm that is damaged by the alkalinity. I now use an icecap ATO. The Icecap uses and impeller driven pump that is not damaged by alkalinity. I just keep the pump slightly elevated off the reservoir bottom so it does not get clogged by the kalkwasser precipitate

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be aware these types of ATO's will let your water level fluctuate approx 3-4X that of the Tunze or the like. It has to break syphon to work which takes a fair amount of water volume with these. My LFS runs this on there large Frag system 12'X4'x2' and they reccomend using it only on large systems.

Just out of curiosity, but why would you think the Spectrapure would deviate 3-4x's as much as the Tunze when it can deliver as little as 6 ml/min (0.1 gph), or as much as 190 ml/min (3 gph)? It's actually known to be one of the most precise ato's available on the market.

Just a bit of info...
1. The peristaltic pump is based on alternating compression and relaxation of the hose or tube drawing the contents into the hose or tube, operating in a similar way to our throat and intestines.

2. A rotating shoe or roller passes along the length of the hose or tube totally compressing it and creating a seal between suction & discharge side of the pump, eliminating product slip.

3. Upon restitution of the hose or tube a strong vacuum is formed drawing product into the pump.

4. The medium to be pumped does not come into contact with any moving parts and is totally contained within a robust, heavy-duty hose or a precision extruded tube.

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a GEO kalk reactor inline with my Tunze Osmolator full size. Pump has lasted for over 5 years since it just pumps RO water to the kalk reactor. Great setup and my ATO reservoir stays clean and only needs refilling with RO water.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back