help me decide

fbodykiller

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 15, 2009
Messages
545
Reaction score
64
Location
Madisonville, Louisiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am saving money for a big tank build and not sure which way to go..
i dont have an unlimited budget..anyway the possibilities so far....

deep sea neo 185 which is 60x30x24 and is 3/4 inch glass w/ a single center overflow w/ 4 holes
and also has no centerbrace

next up is the marineland dd 250 60x36x27 w/ the end overflows... dont really like the idea of this since
one of the ends will be a viewable panel...

any suggestions of pro's or con's of either tanks....or another tank that u might recommend?
thanks in advance
 
You could always tape off and paint the side where the overflow is. Even on the inside if you really had the determination. I really like deep dimension, so I may be extremely biased. Deep seas is a great company though.
 
I wish. Simply not enough room in a dorm :squigglemouth:. I guess it is kind of DD, it's 25x18x18 so it's sort of deep. I like cubes and deep dimensions though. Personal preference I guess.
 
Well looking at your dimensions it looks like you have decided on its permanent location. Meaning do your size choices allow you to move around to get at things underneath for easy cleanup. One of the things that a deeper tank ( frt to bk ) affords is that you can have more room to spread from frt to bk aquascape wise. This way you don't need to pile up like a wall ( IMO ). Two other factors to consider are:
1. The taller the tank the harder it is to place coral unless your arms are extremely long.
2. What lights are you planning to use because the deeper the tank the less light hits the bottom of tank.

Hope this helps ya!
 
FWIW I have a 4 x 3 x 2 tank and regret going 36" front to back. Its a PITA to work on and for me trying to get good flow in it for my SPS has been a pain. I run 3 vortech mp40w's and my return but the width of the tank makes it harder to get good flow through out. I really think to get this flow just right I would be best with 5-6 vortechs. The idea was aquascaping was going to be super cool with these deep dimensions but I have had a heck of a time making it look deep and not just like a bigger pile of rocks lol. I also read some reports about the marineland DD tanks splitting but I guess that can happen to anyone. I'd go with the Deep sea but have you looked at a custom tank, not sure how much different the price would be for ya.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new