Help me do chaeto right in my AIO.

ZzyzxRiver

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 11, 2024
Messages
993
Reaction score
1,170
Location
Orange County, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To help fight hair algae in my display, I was considering dropping a ball of chaeto in a feeding/acclimation chamber that hangs from my display lid, but I was worried about pieces escaping and becoming invasive in my tank. Same problem with doing it in my pump chamber, which is about 12" wide. My filter chamber (with the filter sponges at the bottom) is only 6", but seems like it would fit the bill in terms of not letting chaeto through. Would this LED bar dropped in with it do the job? Is there anything I'm not considering?
 
Last edited:
I doubt you would benefit at all with a small ball of chaeto there as far as nutrients control. My main reason for chaeto is natural filtration and running the fuge light at night to keep my PH consistent and not drop overnight. I think the AIO aspect limits you to much.
 

Attachments

  • 20220827_204318.jpg
    20220827_204318.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 41
To help fight hair algae in my display, I was considering dropping a ball of chaeto in a feeding/acclimation chamber that hangs from my display lid, but I was worried about pieces escaping and becoming invasive in my tank. Same problem with doing it in my pump chamber, which is about 12" wide. My filter chamber (with the filter sponges at the bottom) is only 6", but seems like it would fit the bill in terms of not letting chaeto through. Would this LED bar dropped in with it do the job? Is there anything I'm not considering?
DIY a hang on reactor. like a two little fishes reactor with a led string and a small pump.....
 
it can't hurt. also, you don't have to worry about chaeto being invasive because it doesnt throw down roots or anything, it's easy to grab and toss as needed.

Regarding it being effective as nutrient control, you have to remember that your display lights are likely more powerful and higher quality than most cheaper fuge lights, so the algae in your display will be receiving more energy for growth and likely still out-compete the chaeto.
 
it can't hurt. also, you don't have to worry about chaeto being invasive because it doesnt throw down roots or anything, it's easy to grab and toss as needed.

Regarding it being effective as nutrient control, you have to remember that your display lights are likely more powerful and higher quality than most cheaper fuge lights, so the algae in your display will be receiving more energy for growth and likely still out-compete the chaeto.
So, in my display tank in the acclimation box should be okay? I plan to continue manual GHA removal in the meantime. The chaeto is to help me bring things back under control while my coraline continues to expand. I have lots of tiny nooks and crevices neither my finger nor my CUC fit into, so I thought this could be another angle of attack (and a pleasing pod hotel).
 
So, in my display tank in the acclimation box should be okay? I plan to continue manual GHA removal in the meantime. The chaeto is to help me bring things back under control while my coraline continues to expand. I have lots of tiny nooks and crevices neither my finger nor my CUC fit into, so I thought this could be another angle of attack (and a pleasing pod hotel).
Yes, that is a pretty good solution. That is what I do in my frag tank, I just have chaeto in an acclimation box that receives plenty of light from my kessil.
 
I doubt you would benefit at all with a small ball of chaeto there as far as nutrients control. My main reason for chaeto is natural filtration and running the fuge light at night to keep my PH consistent and not drop overnight. I think the AIO aspect limits you to much.
Nice setup! What light are you using to grow chaeto?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new