Help me fill up my 65 gallon tank

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Been a long time since I have been here. At this point I have just had two clowns in my tank for quite sometime and truly unsure what I want to add next. I ultimately started to drift away from the fish and into the corals as my tank matured and now I feel everything is doing quite alright.

My tank is 65 gallon display with a 40 gallon sump. A lot of filtration for not much of a demanding tank.

I have had the traditional watchman goby and pistol shrimp but not anymore.. they're too messy.

I was thinking some odd fish that you do not see everytime you go to the lfs.. Either stuff I can order online and or something so I can avoid shopping at the petco's in the area.

Thanks!

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note some of the fish arent compatable this is just a list.you could do a dwarf lionfish or a lionfish like an antennata. A snowflake eel would be pretty cool, and anglers arent something you see in tanks that often.

If you want to stray away from predatory fish there are a billion types of angels, with angels its all personal choice really, i really like flame angels, bicolors, flamebacks, and regal angels. Flame hawks are pretty cool in my opinion as are falco hawks. Marine bettas are pretty cool i dont see them all that often in tanks.

If you want to hate yourself you could do a billion green chromis.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note some of the fish arent compatable this is just a list.you could do a dwarf lionfish or a lionfish like an antennata. A snowflake eel would be pretty cool, and anglers arent something you see in tanks that often.

If you want to stray away from predatory fish there are a billion types of angels, with angels its all personal choice really, i really like flame angels, bicolors, flamebacks, and regal angels. Flame hawks are pretty cool in my opinion as are falco hawks. Marine bettas are pretty cool i dont see them all that often in tanks.

If you want to hate yourself you could do a billion green chromis.

So here’s the story... about a little over a year ago I ordered a dwarf moray eel and loved it so much... he seemed to make my pistol shrimp and yellow watchman disappear ... anyways..

it unfortunately died and well hence why I have just the clowns.. haven’t had the courage to get anything new in some time. Had some new croaks coming this week and wanted to add something soon. The lions sound cool.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mandarin goby(if your tank has pods)
I’m pretty sure my tank has plenty of pods now. As bad as this is going to sound I barely ever feed my clownfish but they’re happy as can be always eating off the rocks and whatnot. It’s just hard to justify trying to use a cube of frozen when so few inhabitants.. I do have lots of snails and few lil hermits however

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
flasher wrasse
pinks streaked or possum wrasse
small halichoerus wrasse ( may or may not eat inverts)
yellowhead jawfish (need proper substrate)
flame hawk fish (might eat shrimp)
tail spot or midas blenny
black cap basslet

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of a gamble with a reef, but a Potter's Dwarf Angel would definitely stand out. Wrasses are a must in just about any tank and since yours is over 50 gallons there are some really interesting ones. It all depends on what you are willing to do without. A Mystery Wrasse is impressive, but be prepared to sacrifice inverts with them (including cleaner shrimp). Rhomboids are gorgeous and generally well behaved. Also be prepared that these fish are going to be a bit on the pricier side.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard Wrasses are impressive, but it is crucial to pick the right fish (ie pick out the one that is the most active, eating, etc. AFTER it has been at the LFS for several weeks). Leopard Wrasses are notoriously poor shippers and finicky eaters and only the more adaptable members of the Leopard Wrasse varieties do well in captivity.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please consider researching the fish you want before purchase. it might not be friendly with the neighbors or munch on your corals etc I lion fosh would be about the only fish you could add they will eat any smaller new fish . what do you want over all? A small bunch of smaller fish or one or 3 big ones?

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please consider researching the fish you want before purchase. it might not be friendly with the neighbors or munch on your corals etc I lion fosh would be about the only fish you could add they will eat any smaller new fish . what do you want over all? A small bunch of smaller fish or one or 3 big ones?
I’m not really sure honestly. I have a strange tank size I feel and it’s a little restricting. I want fish that that’s swim around but not too much as tangs do. I’ve seen a lot of fish whilst scuba diving and honestly it kills me to think of housing a large fish in a small area.

bryan oestreich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard Wrasses are impressive, but it is crucial to pick the right fish (ie pick out the one that is the most active, eating, etc. AFTER it has been at the LFS for several weeks). Leopard Wrasses are notoriously poor shippers and finicky eaters and only the more adaptable members of the Leopard Wrasse varieties do well in captivity.
I had a leopard wrasse. Hid for 2 days. Came out ate blood worms and blood worms only and had no issues she was a beautiful fish. Dont scare away from getting one

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frogfish, Orange Toadfish, Miniatus Grouper, Soapfish, Flounder, Convict Tang, Hardwicki Wrasse, Chevron or Gem Tang, Clown Trigger, Squirrelfish, any species of Genicanthus Angelfish, LemonPeel, Keyhole or Flameback Centropyge Angels, Bangaii Cardinals, Springers or Starcks, Allen or Azure Damsels and designer Clowns. These are a good list of both reef and FOWLR fish.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frogfish, Orange Toadfish, Miniatus Grouper, Soapfish, Flounder, Convict Tang, Hardwicki Wrasse, Chevron or Gem Tang, Clown Trigger, Squirrelfish, any species of Genicanthus Angelfish, LemonPeel, Keyhole or Flameback Centropyge Angels, Bangaii Cardinals, Springers or Starcks, Allen or Azure Damsels and designer Clowns. These are a good list of both reef and FOWLR fish.

Is this for the OP's 65 gallon?
Tangs, triggers, full-size angels, groupers, Thalassoma wrasses?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a leopard wrasse. Hid for 2 days. Came out ate blood worms and blood worms only and had no issues she was a beautiful fish. Dont scare away from getting one

Not trying to scare you away from getting one, I'm just saying that it's crucial to pick the right fish as many folks get these beautiful fish only to have them die a few days/weeks later. This also generally gets you a more adaptable fish willing to eat a variety of food. I used this method and my Blue Star Leopard Wrasse eats Seaweed, Reef Frenzy and will even munch a bit on Spirulina Formula.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this for the OP's 65 gallon?
Tangs, triggers, full-size angels, groupers, Thalassoma wrasses?
So I started to look at some of the fish on the list and unfortunately too many of the fish were way too large to even consider.. miniature grouper?? Min 180 gallons

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 65 is really a nice size in general and affords a lot of options. It happens to be the same size I first started with. The choices are plentiful, stay with a decent amount of smaller peaceful fish and the display will dazzle with movement and color. If you keep things truly peaceful a lot of the more shy species will be much more outgoing and visable during normal viewing times.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 65 is really a nice size in general and affords a lot of options. It happens to be the same size I first started with. The choices are plentiful, stay with a decent amount of smaller peaceful fish and the display will dazzle with movement and color. If you keep things truly peaceful a lot of the more shy species will be much more outgoing and visable during normal viewing times.
What was your stocking list like?

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back