Help me find a better skimmer

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am lthinking about upgrading to a bigger skimmer. I have a heavily stocked 40 breeder with majority of sps and lps. I feed the corals so this skimmer should be rated for larger tanks. I currently have a SWC 150 BMK and it's fine for now, but I need a better one...Maybe a Bubble Magus or something else...what's recommended??

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What dont you like about the 150 ?

I ask this because I want to find what would suite you the best. The Sea Side Aquatics cs1 would be great if you have a heavy load. Very quiet and skims very well.

OP
OP
butts182

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just can't get it to collect a heavy skimmate. it's either too wet or it just collects on the tube instead of getting up into the collection cup. Any ideas on how to fix this?

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed more : ) If you put a larger skimmer on that tank it would have an even harder time pulling out dark nog imo.

OP
OP
butts182

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't seem to get any head...does that have to do with bioload? a friend has a BM 100, any good? worth a switch?

OP
OP
butts182

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
luke, where should the water level be in the SWC 150? I have the air all the way open, in about 8.5" of water...usually to get anything in the collection cup, i have to put the water level (bottom of bubbles) almost to the top of the reducer.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you first hooked it up did it have a larger foam head and skim better? Have you pulled off the venturi and cleaned it to see if there is salt creep or calc buildup blocking the hole? You may have caught up to your bioload and its just pulling out and keeping up, so all it needs to pull out is a tan skim.

tike

zoo keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that 10" of water depth and it really ZOOMS! Also are you running a mesh mod? If so, it may need to be changed out.

OP
OP
butts182

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you first hooked it up did it have a larger foam head and skim better? Have you pulled off the venturi and cleaned it to see if there is salt creep or calc buildup blocking the hole? You may have caught up to your bioload and its just pulling out and keeping up, so all it needs to pull out is a tan skim.

It never had a large head or dark skimmate. I thought that was just the way it was. It has been cleaned several times and I replaced the impeller once.

OP
OP
butts182

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. i am looking to upgrade, not necessarily get a bigger skimmer...maybe just one that might work better than currently. I am sick of cleaning the glass almost everyday. nitrates are very low or undetectable though.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back