Skimmer Selection Help

Hard2bej

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I’m planning on upgrading from a 125 with a 40 sump to a 180 and a 40 possibly a second 40 sump. Currently using and have been using a Diablo 160XS which is borderline too small already and definitely will be when I upgrade. I’d like to get a DC skimmer with the pump external for efficiency. I’m having issues justifying why some are $800-900 and some are cheaper. Looking at the Regal 250 INT. Are there any DC skimmers out there rated for 240ish gallons heavy bio load with external pump that work as good as the Regal that aren’t $900?? I have to assume to some extent, all skimmers should somewhat do the same job, not sure why some are so much more expensive than others of the same rating/options. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank. 180g with a 40 gal sump. My previous tank was a 137g peninsula and I used a Bubble Magus Curve 7 on it. Did amazing! 3 years ago upgraded to the 180g and kept the Curve 7. It works so well! I believe it’s scaled for a up to 150g. But it’s working fantastically! Good luck.

OP
OP
Hard2bej

Hard2bej

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank. 180g with a 40 gal sump. My previous tank was a 137g peninsula and I used a Bubble Magus Curve 7 on it. Did amazing! 3 years ago upgraded to the 180g and kept the Curve 7. It works so well! I believe it’s scaled for a up to 150g. But it’s working fantastically! Good luck.
Well technically the Curve 7 is also too small for that set up. I guess your suppose to base it on total water volume.

OP
OP
Hard2bej

Hard2bej

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I’m planning on upgrading from a 125 with a 40 sump to a 180 and a 40 possibly a second 40 sump. Currently using and have been using a Diablo 160XS which is borderline too small already and definitely will be when I upgrade. I’d like to get a DC skimmer with the pump external for efficiency. I’m having issues justifying why some are $800-900 and some are cheaper. Looking at the Regal 250 INT. Are there any DC skimmers out there rated for 240ish gallons heavy bio load with external pump that work as good as the Regal that aren’t $900?? I have to assume to some extent, all skimmers should somewhat do the same job, not sure why some are so much more expensive than others of the same rating/options. Any suggestions? Thanks!!
How big of a difference is the space saving internal pump compared to the external pump as far as performance? Is it worth the extra cost? For some reason the external pumps are so much more

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers should be based on TANK Volume. If using a fleece roller downgrade 1 size.
The more bubble contact time with the water the better, so a pump outside the body is better. External skimmers do not depend on water levels, so they work better.
Lifereef is a tried & true skimmer and upgradeable if needed but unless you get a used one there is a wait time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back