Help me find my Nitrates?

SilkySifaka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got zero nitrates in my tank, and zero phosphate for that matter too. At first I thought it was cool, but now I'm worried it will limit my addition of new corals.

15 gallon cube up for 3 months but seeded with rock from previous tank
1x Tailspot Blenny
1x Osc Clown
3x Cerith Snails
1x Large Candy Cane Colony
1x Toadstool Leather
1x Monti Digitata

Using Fiji Pink Arag-Alive if that matters. I also run a very small amount of carbon. Otherwise no dosing. I use reef crystals for salt. I test with API Master Reef Kit (and I do shake the hell out of the nitrate bottles). I feed 1-3x per day, spirulina flakes, mysis, and frozen reef frenzy. Everyone is happy except for the monti (it's my first SPS), which has lost quite a bit of color and has poor PE.

So yeah, I have no idea where the hell my nitrates and phosphate are. I was guessing that it might be the toadstool leather soaking them up, but I'm not really sure. Any guesses?

OP
OP
S

SilkySifaka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I still can't seem to get my nitrates up despite increased feeding. I'm wondering whether I should begin dosing..

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API nitrate is fine but hard to read if you have between 0 and 5. API Phosphate is useless as it can't read fine enough for our uses.

OP
OP
S

SilkySifaka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now I'm a little nervous and suspecting I might have dinos. I don't seem to have the the traditional stingy, bubbly brown slime, but I do have som brown on my sand bed and bubbles beneath the sand. With my zeroed out no3 and po4 I'm started to put the puzzle together....

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now I'm a little nervous and suspecting I might have dinos. I don't seem to have the the traditional stingy, bubbly brown slime, but I do have som brown on my sand bed and bubbles beneath the sand. With my zeroed out no3 and po4 I'm started to put the puzzle together....

With the API test, you can't distinguish 0 from 0.25. So you may not have 0 at all.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back