Help me help you help me - Tank not doing well.

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Long as post - TL : DR - Corals are dying, cant figure out why. Alot of info on my system, messurements and what i've done so on below.

Since about 6-8 months back my tank has declined in health. Its a pretty overall decline in health for several reasons I guess. I've had a couple of threads explaining every single death/event but i think its better to summarize it all into one thread.

About 6-8 months ago my tank started taking a turn for the worse. Cant say why since i cant find any notes or recall me changing anything at all during that time.

My LPS is taking it the worst and die or display some really unhappyness. I lost a golden torch and have another nice showpiece going the same fate.

20210704_151407[5704].jpg

Its not only euphyllias. A nice trancy died, acanthophyllias is pretty ticked everynow and then. Same goes for a scoly. The scoly and acanthophyllia seem to bounce back alot better and only get ticked some short periods of time then display healthy plumpy flesh. Abit dull in coloring but alive and well. Another coral not doing to hot is my chalice. I have 3 kinds of chalice but one of them (2 pieces) are both browing and dying.

My maxima clam died but it probably was in too low light for too long a period so i cant say it correlate with any other problem.

20210704_193426[5706].jpg

My system is a reefer 625 xxl with an fragtank with shared sump. I got alot of gadget and what not. about 730 litres of water volum not counting rocks and so on.

Filtration
I have a fairly sized skimmer (maxspect aeraqua duo ad600) along with alot of biomedia from maxspect. both blocks and bioballs. For mechanical removal i use a clarisea SK5000. I recently started a refugium which has grown along quite nicely (started a week before thread started).

About 40 kg (90ish lbs) so its on the low side for the system. Compensated with biomedia.

I run carbon (red sea) in their bag in a highflow area.

Livestock
I wanto have an heavy in heavy out system. I currently have 6 tangs 1 CBB 2 wrasses 4 clowns 1 blenny 1 hawkfish and 1 mandarin.

Loads of corals between the fragsystem and display.

Light:

On the display i run a 12 hour schedule on my 3 radions (XR30W Pro gen3). I copyed WWC's. I suppliment the display with 4x 80w t5. All in all i get around 300-350 par at my acros and 150-200 at my bottom. So par might have a role in my LPS not doing to well.

Fragtank run a schedule but with two AI hydra 26HD. getting about 200 - 250 par.

The scedule is 1 hour ramp into 6 hours of a daylight period into a 4 hours blue spectrum and 1 hour ramp down. T5 is on for the 6 hours aswell.

Flow:

Display and fragtank share returnpump - aquabee up 8000 at full blast to 6500 - 8000 LPH i guess with bends and so on. In the display i have 4x mp40QD running reefcrest at 40-45% each giving about 45-55 times turnover.

Fragtank has a small tunze and a jebao sw-8 giving it about more turnover than display.

Messurements:

Ca 420 Mg 1360 KH 8-8.3 with a daily swing about 0.3. Alkatronic messures it and i double check it twice weekly.

Nutrients are about 4-8 No3 and 0.04 - 0.08 po4. Triton came back at 0.11 when my red sea test kit said 0.04 so guess its faulty even if it was pretty new?

I've also attatched my latest ICP when things took started to lose color and looking stressed is attatched.

Dosing:

I run a calcium reactor which keep things stable but my PH is kinda low from it. 7.8 - 8.1 is the daily swing. I also dose 1 ml of red sea trace daily. I tested for about 2 months to half the color dose aswell as not dose at all with little to no impact. The trace wasnt overdosed either if i refer to the ICP.

I feed my fish twice daily with formula one and two pellets aswell as frozen mysis. Occational piece of nori for the tangs.

Problems:

I've had alot of cyano even as barebottom. I remedied this with chemiclean about a month ago and i cant say things have gotten better or worse from it. I cant really see any different in nutrients or such either. So I cant say it was from phosphates for example.

My acros got flatworms but i got rid of them by removing all acros and QT. Killed all the bases with kalkwasser. I've dipped corals as late as previous sunday and havent found worms for 5 weeks now (35 days) making me pretty confident that they're gone.

Got some aiptasia but my copperbanded keeps them at bay.

Apart from that no pest or blooms.

What i've done and maintainance:

10% weekly waterchange. I remove all the detritus i can find. I have NOT blown over any rocks so i guess its overdue. I also clean the skimmer cup and neck weekly.

I've tried alot of things. but not to many to often. I've started a fuge which lowered my NO3. Im hoping it might remove any pollutions or metals that might be causeing this aswell. I tried increased flow for a period. And checked for faulty or rusy magnets. Without results. I havent fiddled with light much, i tried increasing the daylight time by 1 hour but it seemed to make it worse even if i extended the period over afew weeks.

I tried looking for electricity in the water but only get really low readings, all acceptable if i recall correct.

I messure my parameters quite closely since my tank is bleeding money and life at this moment. So unless they've gone bad i get the above (good) results pretty much every time.

Other:

Coraline grow like crazy. No problem there. My fish is fat and happy. I probably overfeed abit but i think i overcompensate with filtration and have reasonable nutrients. Po4 might be higher if infact my test has gone bad.

Acros are coming back abit in color and PE. Still alot of green and somewhat sceptical polyps which i can understand after pests, dipping, moving and now remounted.

I have not tested phosphate absorbers. I have a brand new triton AL99. But im scared ****less of zeroing nutrients after doing so 3 times and getting dino in other tanks.

I might and probably missed something. Just ask if you can come up with anything at all. Im at my wits end.

20210704_151407[5704].jpg 20210704_193426[5706].jpg

Attachments

• Reefer 625 XXL - 02_27_2021 (B-oyYPYM).pdf
    159.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Long as post - TL : DR - Corals are dying, cant figure out why. Alot of info on my system, messurements and what i've done so on below.

Since about 6-8 months back my tank has declined in health. Its a pretty overall decline in health for several reasons I guess. I've had a couple of threads explaining every single death/event but i think its better to summarize it all into one thread.

About 6-8 months ago my tank started taking a turn for the worse. Cant say why since i cant find any notes or recall me changing anything at all during that time.

My LPS is taking it the worst and die or display some really unhappyness. I lost a golden torch and have another nice showpiece going the same fate.

20210704_151407[5704].jpg

Its not only euphyllias. A nice trancy died, acanthophyllias is pretty ticked everynow and then. Same goes for a scoly. The scoly and acanthophyllia seem to bounce back alot better and only get ticked some short periods of time then display healthy plumpy flesh. Abit dull in coloring but alive and well. Another coral not doing to hot is my chalice. I have 3 kinds of chalice but one of them (2 pieces) are both browing and dying.

My maxima clam died but it probably was in too low light for too long a period so i cant say it correlate with any other problem.

20210704_193426[5706].jpg

My system is a reefer 625 xxl with an fragtank with shared sump. I got alot of gadget and what not. about 730 litres of water volum not counting rocks and so on.

Filtration
I have a fairly sized skimmer (maxspect aeraqua duo ad600) along with alot of biomedia from maxspect. both blocks and bioballs. For mechanical removal i use a clarisea SK5000. I recently started a refugium which has grown along quite nicely (started a week before thread started).

About 40 kg (90ish lbs) so its on the low side for the system. Compensated with biomedia.

I run carbon (red sea) in their bag in a highflow area.

Livestock
I wanto have an heavy in heavy out system. I currently have 6 tangs 1 CBB 2 wrasses 4 clowns 1 blenny 1 hawkfish and 1 mandarin.

Loads of corals between the fragsystem and display.

Light:

On the display i run a 12 hour schedule on my 3 radions (XR30W Pro gen3). I copyed WWC's. I suppliment the display with 4x 80w t5. All in all i get around 300-350 par at my acros and 150-200 at my bottom. So par might have a role in my LPS not doing to well.

Fragtank run a schedule but with two AI hydra 26HD. getting about 200 - 250 par.

The scedule is 1 hour ramp into 6 hours of a daylight period into a 4 hours blue spectrum and 1 hour ramp down. T5 is on for the 6 hours aswell.

Flow:

Display and fragtank share returnpump - aquabee up 8000 at full blast to 6500 - 8000 LPH i guess with bends and so on. In the display i have 4x mp40QD running reefcrest at 40-45% each giving about 45-55 times turnover.

Fragtank has a small tunze and a jebao sw-8 giving it about more turnover than display.

Messurements:

Ca 420 Mg 1360 KH 8-8.3 with a daily swing about 0.3. Alkatronic messures it and i double check it twice weekly.

Nutrients are about 4-8 No3 and 0.04 - 0.08 po4. Triton came back at 0.11 when my red sea test kit said 0.04 so guess its faulty even if it was pretty new?

I've also attatched my latest ICP when things took started to lose color and looking stressed is attatched.

Dosing:

I run a calcium reactor which keep things stable but my PH is kinda low from it. 7.8 - 8.1 is the daily swing. I also dose 1 ml of red sea trace daily. I tested for about 2 months to half the color dose aswell as not dose at all with little to no impact. The trace wasnt overdosed either if i refer to the ICP.

I feed my fish twice daily with formula one and two pellets aswell as frozen mysis. Occational piece of nori for the tangs.

Problems:

I've had alot of cyano even as barebottom. I remedied this with chemiclean about a month ago and i cant say things have gotten better or worse from it. I cant really see any different in nutrients or such either. So I cant say it was from phosphates for example.

My acros got flatworms but i got rid of them by removing all acros and QT. Killed all the bases with kalkwasser. I've dipped corals as late as previous sunday and havent found worms for 5 weeks now (35 days) making me pretty confident that they're gone.

Got some aiptasia but my copperbanded keeps them at bay.

Apart from that no pest or blooms.

What i've done and maintainance:

10% weekly waterchange. I remove all the detritus i can find. I have NOT blown over any rocks so i guess its overdue. I also clean the skimmer cup and neck weekly.

I've tried alot of things. but not to many to often. I've started a fuge which lowered my NO3. Im hoping it might remove any pollutions or metals that might be causeing this aswell. I tried increased flow for a period. And checked for faulty or rusy magnets. Without results. I havent fiddled with light much, i tried increasing the daylight time by 1 hour but it seemed to make it worse even if i extended the period over afew weeks.

I tried looking for electricity in the water but only get really low readings, all acceptable if i recall correct.

I messure my parameters quite closely since my tank is bleeding money and life at this moment. So unless they've gone bad i get the above (good) results pretty much every time.

Other:

Coraline grow like crazy. No problem there. My fish is fat and happy. I probably overfeed abit but i think i overcompensate with filtration and have reasonable nutrients. Po4 might be higher if infact my test has gone bad.

Acros are coming back abit in color and PE. Still alot of green and somewhat sceptical polyps which i can understand after pests, dipping, moving and now remounted.

I have not tested phosphate absorbers. I have a brand new triton AL99. But im scared ****less of zeroing nutrients after doing so 3 times and getting dino in other tanks.

I might and probably missed something. Just ask if you can come up with anything at all. Im at my wits end.

20210704_151407[5704].jpg 20210704_193426[5706].jpg
I know how you feel. Tank surviving but just most days huh. It’s frustrating and I’m sorry if I’m of little help here but have you tried testing phosphates more then once a day? they swing from 1.1 to .02 in my tank when things are not going well. Try testing in the morning before you feed and then again before bed.
Carbon can leach nutrients back into the tank when it’s used up.
If the lps are sliming then carbon could be getting used up faster then normally.
I would leave the light the way it is, 150 on the bottom is not too shabby at all

OP
OP
m0jjen

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know how you feel. Tank surviving but just most days huh. It’s frustrating and I’m sorry if I’m of little help here but have you tried testing phosphates more then once a day? they swing from 1.1 to .02 in my tank when things are not going well. Try testing in the morning before you feed and then again before bed.
Carbon can leach nutrients back into the tank when it’s used up.
If the lps are sliming then carbon could be getting used up faster then normally.
I would leave the light the way it is, 150 on the bottom is not too shabby at all

They dont slime, they just shrink and die pretty much, change my carbon every 4 weeks even if red sea recommends every 2 months (might be wrong).

I have tested in the morning, mid day and evening, seems pretty consistant at 0.04 - 0.08

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They dont slime, they just shrink and die pretty much, change my carbon every 4 weeks even if red sea recommends every 2 months (might be wrong).

I have tested in the morning, mid day and evening, seems pretty consistant at 0.04 - 0.08
Maybe try .08-1.3 a little more food for the coral

OP
OP
m0jjen

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention:

RODI, always 0 TDS. Filters get changed on a schedule and my apex tells me when its time.

Saltmix is red sea blue bucket.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back