Help me identify sponge/tunnicate/thing.

  • Thread starter Thread starter entranced
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

entranced

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 20, 2021
Messages
86
Reaction score
56
Location
Argentina
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
photo_2022-09-22 14.28.24.jpeg


As you can see in the following video where flow has been turned off it has some means of circulation, it throws streams of water through the openings, but can't clearly see any movement.
I thought tunnicates had two openings that clearly moved throwing water out?


https://youtube.com/shorts/806tjXDM148?feature=share
 
photo_2022-09-22 14.28.24.jpeg


As you can see in the following video where flow has been turned off it has some means of circulation, it throws streams of water through the openings, but can't clearly see any movement.
I thought tunnicates had two openings that clearly moved throwing water out?


https://youtube.com/shorts/806tjXDM148?feature=share
Tunicates do have two openings (the oral siphon and the atrial siphon), but it can be pretty difficult to see the second opening with some species. Similarly, I imagine that the visibility of their movement likely depends on the species too.

So, while I agree that I can't see a clear second siphon in the picture (the video won't play for me - it say's the video is private), these look like tunicates to me, as that transparent/translucent color is incredibly rare in sponges but relatively common in tunicates.

All of that said, though, some white light photos of both this and various other angles may be helpful to confirm the ID/hopefully narrow down the ID further.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new