Help me identify what this is please…

hsandie

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 22, 2023
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
Palmdale
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I have a clear like thing that just grew on this live rock in my reef tank. It almost looks like a Venus fly trap.. can you help me identify what it could be?
 
Here are some
 

Attachments

  • EC5F82FA-0CC8-485C-92A5-F6F364918E75.jpeg
    EC5F82FA-0CC8-485C-92A5-F6F364918E75.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 6B39C4B3-6BCA-4215-AF43-AC735F38B353.jpeg
    6B39C4B3-6BCA-4215-AF43-AC735F38B353.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 0
Here are some
It looks like it may be a bivalve of some kind (like a clam, scallop, or similar), but that color is very interesting. Does this thing react to light or being touched/does it move at all (i.e. does it close/open at all, or retract and expand)? Is it soft or hard?
Sorry I’m new to this… I posted some above
No problem - welcome to Reef2Reef!
 
Upvote 0
It looks like it may be a bivalve of some kind (like a clam, scallop, or similar), but that color is very interesting. Does this thing react to light or being touched/does it move at all (i.e. does it close/open at all, or retract and expand)? Is it soft or hard?

No problem - welcome to Reef2Reef!


It does react to light, it opens and closes. I’m not sure if it’s soft or hard because I haven’t touched it or anything.
 
Upvote 0
It does react to light, it opens and closes. I’m not sure if it’s soft or hard because I haven’t touched it or anything.
Reacting to light and opening and closing both support my guess of bivalve. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what kind of bivalve it is, but, regardless, it's a harmless filter feeder.

Hopefully someone will be able to help us narrow it down a bit, but it's a neat find you have there, and the color at the moment is pretty unique/cool.
 
Upvote 0
I bought that same coral, I can’t remember what it is called but I know that it is completely safe, they are pretty pricey to so take good care of it
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new