Help me pick a small power head.

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fish QT and coral QT tanks that need some new power heads.

Im currently running two of these cheapo ones off amazon in each tank.
AQUANEAT pump

They actually work pretty good, but are a PINA to clean and 90% of the time they start spinning in reverse and need to be turned off and on again about 10 times. So I want to replace them.

Since Id like to be able to aim them(to keep detritus off the bottom) I cant do the nero's or similar pumps. Id love DC and controls for the Coral QT but its not a must.

Current options are.

Sicce Nano - Aimable but not controllable. Decent price, but worried about the reverse startup BS these style pumps do.

Sicce XStream - Aimable, controllable and DC. But Expensive.

Tunze 6015 - Aimable but not controllable. Decent price, but worried about the reverse startup BS these style pumps do but its tunze!

What do you guys think?

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a handful of different powerheads in two separate set-ups.
My favorites are the Turbelle nanostream 6055 and a little Hygger eco slim WaveMaker. Both have controllers, and are easy to clean. Only the 6055 aimable.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fish QT and coral QT tanks that need some new power heads.

Im currently running two of these cheapo ones off amazon in each tank.
AQUANEAT pump

They actually work pretty good, but are a PINA to clean and 90% of the time they start spinning in reverse and need to be turned off and on again about 10 times. So I want to replace them.

Since Id like to be able to aim them(to keep detritus off the bottom) I cant do the nero's or similar pumps. Id love DC and controls for the Coral QT but its not a must.

Current options are.

Sicce Nano - Aimable but not controllable. Decent price, but worried about the reverse startup BS these style pumps do.

Sicce XStream - Aimable, controllable and DC. But Expensive.

Tunze 6015 - Aimable but not controllable. Decent price, but worried about the reverse startup BS these style pumps do but its tunze!

What do you guys think?

I use Jeabo Sow-4 in my nano's/QT and they been running great for years now (maybe 5 years non stop usage now?), very small and controllable. $63 on amazon.

OP
OP
E

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Jeabo Sow-4 in my nano's/QT and they been running great for years now (maybe 5 years non stop usage now?), very small and controllable. $63 on amazon.

These seem like a good option for the price. I have some Jebao return pumps and I like those.

Can the controller operate more than one pump?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These seem like a good option for the price. I have some Jebao return pumps and I like those.

Can the controller operate more than one pump?

You can set them as master and slave, what that does.. I do not know! I think it means you can control them from one pump from a quick google but don't hold me to it, I never tried it.

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at the Tunze 6040? I have a 15 gallon cube and am looking at a lot of the same pumps but I want a controllable option.

OP
OP
E

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at the Tunze 6040? I have a 15 gallon cube and am looking at a lot of the same pumps but I want a controllable option.

Yup, its shape, size and method of aiming dont really work for my setup which was dissapointing because it would have been perfect.

You can set them as master and slave, what that does.. I do not know! I think it means you can control them from one pump from a quick google but don't hold me to it, I never tried it.

Ive found reference to that in amazon questions but cant find anything else solid on it.

It looks like you can just connect 2 together and have them mirror or oppose each other. Cant find much else.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came here to suggest the Jebao SOW/MOW/EOW (same pump, just different controllers). The newer ones are wifi enabled, and you can get pretty crazy with scheduling in the app beyond just master/slave which, as stated, puts the pumps directly opposing each other in the schedule, and only offers a classic "back-and-forth" wave motion.

Also don't rule out the SLW/MLW/ELW from Jebao. It's a Nero style form factor, but they have a curved base so they can be aimed also. Not as much as the egg-shaped, traditional SOW style, but still worth a look.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back