Help me pick circulation pumps

RDA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.

I am getting ready to set up my new reef tank, and would like help picking out my circulation pumps. This is my first reef tank of this size, so I need help picking the right equipment. The tank is a 100 gallon (60x18x21) with an overflow in the left rear corner. 1x 1" drain and 1x 3/4" return. I have a brand new mag 9 that I was thinking about using for the return, unless I need something bigger/smaller.

For the curculation pumps I would like to know how many and what sizes you recommend. Let me start by saying I have cheap, easy access to Hydor Koralias, so I would like to stick to those. I am planning predominantly SPS with some LPS on the sandbed. Should I get 850's, 1150's, 1500's? 2, 4, 6, 8? You tell me what would be best in your experience. This is my first rodeo with this size sw tank, and my tank is 5x larger than my current tank so I need lots of guidance.

Thanks in advance.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran two 1150 on my 60 gallon with good enough results. After my upgrade to a 75 I added another 3G 2450 and was very happy with my flow. Now I have two MP40... I honestly don't know if they are worth the extra money. I can blow water out of my tank now though ;Shifty I mainly got them for the battery backup, though there are far cheaper options out there.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 28 16.7%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 69 41.1%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.9%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.0%
Back